Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Continuously Record: 30 second buffer before motion capture trigger.

I am monitoring to try to capture someone who is harassing one of the tenants in our duplex by leaving items in the porch-mounted mailbox.

I have been running tests on the motion-capture sensitivity of the camera, and even though the camera is in a fantastic location, it doesn't trigger the recording if I just quickly walk up and place something into the mailbox.

A person or object seems to need to really get close to the camera or loiter for a good 5 seconds or so before the infrared sensor picks it up.

I have been getting a few notifications of motion-capture today that haven't captured anything at all, so a solution to this could be to have a continuous 30-second buffer to show what was being recorded before the motion-capture was triggured.

The arlo can run a continuous live-stream with a 30-second buffer, meaning it always only has the previous 30-seconds worth of footage recorded in the cloud. All information beyond that 30-second window is continuously dumped.

Then, when the ARLO motion-sensor is triggerd, it will create an "anchor point" in the live stream to hold the last 30-seconds, and then it can record the next 10-seconds to 120-seconds additionally.

This way, if it was just a dog running by that triggered the camera, you can see the dog run by up to and after the trigger. Also, if someone just quickly walks up to the mailbox or your front door, and it only takes a couple of seconds, then the trigger might be able to capture the person walking up as opposed to only catching them walking away.

Thanks!

Comments
DawnM
Arlo Employee Retired
Status changed to: Future Consideration

srbbell
Novice
I see that this thread was changed to "future consideration" on 1/16/2019. Is there any update regarding the implementation of this feature? I wholeheartedly agree with the original poster and everyone else in this thread; this is a feature that is badly needed and would expand the functionality of our cameras substantially. As others have mentioned, with the "record until motion stops" setting, I frequently have far too many short clips that should ideally be one longer one, or worse yet, a clip that cuts out prematurely while the subject is still in frame.

@gerardvagyok wrote:

Would like to set the delay manually between the moment when no motion is detected anymore and the recording stops. 

Sometimes the recording stops too fast and it generates many short consecutive clips instead of one longer recording.

Don’t hold your breath.    I’m still waiting for them to produce a simple doorbell  with a camera attached to it.    

If they ever do get around to implementing this idea it’ll certainly only be available through their paid subscription service.