Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

iOS Do Not Disturb Bypass

Like most people, I use the iPhone's Do-Not_Disturb at night so I don't get notifications from the 30+ apps I have installed on my phone.  But I need to be able to receive notifications from Arlo if one of my cameras is triggered.  Either design the app to notify above the iOS DND, or design a new notification system that uses phone call or text message (like most stores use now for sales and coupons).  

Thank you!

Comments
TomMac
Guru

you can attempt to use the cell provider's email to SMS conversion...

I use verizon and I finf it easier to handle sms over pushes or emails.

short list

Carrier Email to SMS Gateway
Alltel [10-digit phone number]@message.alltel.com
Example: 1234567890@message.alltel.com
AT&T (formerly Cingular) [10-digit phone number]@txt.att.net
[10-digit phone number]@mms.att.net (MMS)
[10-digit phone number]@cingularme.com
Example: 1234567890@txt.att.net
Boost Mobile [10-digit phone number]@myboostmobile.com
Example: 1234567890@myboostmobile.com
Nextel (now Sprint Nextel) [10-digit telephone number]@messaging.nextel.com
Example: 1234567890@messaging.nextel.com
Sprint PCS (now Sprint Nextel) [10-digit phone number]@messaging.sprintpcs.com
[10-digit phone number]@pm.sprint.com (MMS)
Example: 1234567890@messaging.sprintpcs.com
T-Mobile [10-digit phone number]@tmomail.net
Example: 1234567890@tmomail.net
US Cellular [10-digit phone number]email.uscc.net (SMS)
[10-digit phone number]@mms.uscc.net (MMS)
Example: 1234567890@email.uscc.net
Verizon [10-digit phone number]@vtext.com
[10-digit phone number]@vzwpix.com (MMS)
Example: 1234567890@vtext.com
Virgin Mobile USA [10-digit phone number]@vmobl.com
Example: 1234567890@vmobl.com
PattyPP
Follower

Thank you Tom!  I have played with that all day yesterday, following advice I saw on this board.  Here's the skinny:  I get no text notification from arlo at all.  None.  Tried both, vtext and vzwpix.  I tried testing this service by sending myself trial messages from email.  If I send myself a vtext (numerous times using different email servers: pybus.us, gmail and yahoo) I get no text.  If I send myself an mms using vzwpix through my pybus.us account I get a notification roughly 1.5 hrs later (which defeats the purpose of having a notification).  After 3 separate sessions with verizon techs I was told the following things:  1. Arlo has to create an SFP Record so their notification messages don't go to Verizon spam.  I chatted with an Arlo rep afterwards and they seem to have no idea what and how an SPF Record is created, so I doubt they have ever had to do this before.  2.  Verizon is no longer using vtext for notification originating from other companies (they claim it was abused).  It makes no sense in view that yours works.  3. vtext and vzwpix rely on the server that pushed the messages, this determines the speed at which you receive them.  This also seems untrue.  I have Arlo set to send me an email to my normal email address and another to vtext.  I get the normal email immediatly, and I have not yet received anything from them via text.  It has been 24 hrs for the first few attempts.  So imagine my surprise to find out this morning that you have no troubles with verizon!  Please, if you have any ideas or wisdom, I would very much appreciate any advice!

Patty

TomMac
Guru

Don't gave an answer for you...

I just got another email on my PC and on the phone... using the default ; number @vtext.com

the Motion alert on the cam was 2:53:44 and I got the email and sms both at 2:54.

All I can say is make sure the number is correctly placed and saved on the email line... with the area code.

you have to enter the email, get a green chck at the end saying its a good address and then hit the "+" button to add.

If correct the phone email ( sms ) and your normal email end up on the same line

( you did it in the  mode for your camera under email ? )

PattyPP
Follower

Thank you Tom, yes I did all of the above.  Turns out there's something wrong with my line.  I tried my husband's phone line (also Verizon, same account) and it works.  Verizon is checking their network and I hope to have an answer by Monday.  I have another problem though.  I cannot get the message (the sms to vtext) to bypass the do not disturb.  The "alerts@arlo.com" account is both in my favorites and has the "Emergengy Bypass" on.  What am I missing?  Thank you so much for your help!

TomMac
Guru

Your using an Iphone... I'm on an Android and only use ios with an ipad...( so not 100% up on iphone ins/outs )

Sorry can't help more.

PattyPP
Follower

Thank you!

Goblue99
Onlooker
I have a solution setup with ifttt that will call my phone when motion is detected. I also have this enabled for only my do not disturb hours. It is fairly complex, but I can describe the solution if there is interest.
RockyMountain
Aspirant

Hi Goblue99 I would like to try your IFTTT solution as I do not get a sound notification on my iphone at night

Goblue99
Onlooker
I have since found a new solution that is much simpler. You will first need to download iOS app stringify. Next you will need to add a new "Thing" for your arlo cameras. Create a new flow with first adding date and time icon and setting hours your iPhone is on do not disturb. Next add your arlo camera. Then finally have it send you an email. Add stringify as a contact and set the text tone as emergency bypass on.
penguinllama
Fledgling

@Goblue99

With the emergency bypass on, you only get notifications from texts and calls. Since Stringify can only send emails, how were you able to get it to notify you?