Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

camera starts recording on and only stops when Motion stops

First of all, Arlo is great in theory. A wireless camera that is accessible from anywhere in the world with an internet connection? Wonderful!

But in reality, it's a system that is more gadget gimmick, than a useful, usable security option.

However, if you could make this one change in the system, I'll deal with the usability issues on the app; I'll deal with the limitations of the camera settings; the lag in response to motion; etc., etc... If you could just make it so that the camera starts recording on motion and doesn't stop until the motion stops (with a user setting for max mins), then I'd finally be satisfied.

Otherwise, here's how it works now, and an example of what I actually get: A UPS truck pulls up, and Arlo kicks in (late) and starts recording after the truck is already parked (very annoying), but then I get 30 seconds (my setting is 30 secs) of the truck sitting there as the driver gets the package from the back. Then Arlo shuts down, the driver gets out with my package and walks up my driveway (about a 20 second walk) at which point Arlo is starting up again for another 30 second clip. Arlo starts up again and then records 30 seconds of the driver already walking away after dropping the package at my front door.

If this were an intruder or someone "casing the joint" I'd never get an image of his face. Is that a real security system?? Now, if I could set Arlo to stay on and record until the motion stops or my setting (I would choose 5 minutes) I would get all the footage I need. Battery life wouldn't matter to me because 1) if the motion stopped at 15 seconds, the recording would stop or; 2) if I could capture real "show-to-the-cops-footage" I wouldn't care if I had to replace the batteries more frequently.

That said:

PLEASE CHANGE ARLO TO STOP RECORDING ONLY AFTER THE MOTION HAS STOPPED OR BASED ON OUR USER PREFERENCE!!! Thanks!

Anyone agree or experiencing the same? Please chime in and hopefully the folks at Arlo make it happen!

Comments
timot
Fledgling

What's the ETA for the wireless products? I'm in need of adding new cameras, but this is a huge issue for me as a security camera. I've read others have suggested Blink, but from what I read, it also does not do constant recording during motion.

charlessc05
Fledgling
Any updates on this? This is the one flaw that I hate.
Alex64
Aspirant
This must get fixed. I.e. Keep recording x seconds after all motion stops and speed up starts. X set by user. That said what I have done is use one camera to trigger recording on another so that the first motion detect is set early for what I want to see on the other camera. This way I can capture all the video I am interested in but it does mean I am effectively using two for one purpose. It's probably true to say cctv is situation dependent and every customer set up is unique. Mine works okay but I do agree start is too laggy and you simply have to have it that system keeps recording so long as motion is being sensed- isn't that the point! Guys at netgear please crack on with what seems like a easy upgrade.
wyattb
Aspirant

Ok it seems this is not fixed issue after all this time and its promises only. For me it is huge lapse in security. I will return the system. Thanks Netgear and Best Buy for selling faulty products.

Knight_Rider
Guide

Any updates on when this feature is going to implemented? Like the product but can't stand this lag. I am using 2 cams in one location as choke point just to record all the motion in one particular area. 

T9001
Star
Knight_Rider wrote:
Any updates on when this feature is going to implemented? Like the product but can't stand this lag. I am using 2 cams in one location as choke point just to record all the motion in one particular area.

I agree. And having to use two cameras triggering each other makes programming very unwieldy, and IFTTT useless as it can't set custom modes.

Even more frustratingly, all of the IFTTT functionality is already in the code. It's possble to curl all the custom modes and set any of them. And there are hints at different end trigger options in the data transferred as well. There's a field called "stopCondition" which is always set to "timeout", but that is where a different stop condition would be implemented, e.g. "motionStop".

Come on Netgear - you could destroy the competition with these simple changes, but you are being left behind by concentrating on new shiny toys instead of basic functionality.

JohnnyE
Novice

Ugh, my first post, because I bought my system yesterday, and I discover I own a toy and not a real security tool. Of course continous video is necessary, as is being able to download and share the recordings with police and prosecutors. It's not about recording cute dog and cat shennanigans for posting on Facebook or You Tube.

I hope this product does not remain a toy and become a curiosity and dead end.

Scorpiodsu
Aspirant

Instead of only being able to select a clip length for motion events, it would be nice to just have the camera record for as long as motion is happening.  This would remedy the issues of recording too short when things are still happen or too long when something like a bug or wind set off the motion detection.

AlphaMama
Aspirant

WE NEED CONTINUOUS RECORDING! Is anyone from Netgear reading these?

I personally would like mine to be able to schedule it to continuously record for say 2 hrs in the mornings. Seems like this option is NOT unreasonable.

projectrs2
Fledgling

Just wanted to chime in - we bought $5000 worth of these arlo products and have set them up, but will be heading to the store to return them right away. I can't believe this feature is NOT IMPLEMENTED - anyone reading this: TRUST US, DO NOT BUY THESE PRODUCTS It is utterly useless - most robberies/events/monitoring that you would want LAST LONGER THAN A 2 MINUTE WINDOW. You'll end up getting a series of 2 minute videos with a giant gap in between recordings. This product is NOT USEFUL in any shape - buyer beware. Really disappointed in the product for such a basic feature.