Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

camera starts recording on and only stops when Motion stops

First of all, Arlo is great in theory. A wireless camera that is accessible from anywhere in the world with an internet connection? Wonderful!

But in reality, it's a system that is more gadget gimmick, than a useful, usable security option.

However, if you could make this one change in the system, I'll deal with the usability issues on the app; I'll deal with the limitations of the camera settings; the lag in response to motion; etc., etc... If you could just make it so that the camera starts recording on motion and doesn't stop until the motion stops (with a user setting for max mins), then I'd finally be satisfied.

Otherwise, here's how it works now, and an example of what I actually get: A UPS truck pulls up, and Arlo kicks in (late) and starts recording after the truck is already parked (very annoying), but then I get 30 seconds (my setting is 30 secs) of the truck sitting there as the driver gets the package from the back. Then Arlo shuts down, the driver gets out with my package and walks up my driveway (about a 20 second walk) at which point Arlo is starting up again for another 30 second clip. Arlo starts up again and then records 30 seconds of the driver already walking away after dropping the package at my front door.

If this were an intruder or someone "casing the joint" I'd never get an image of his face. Is that a real security system?? Now, if I could set Arlo to stay on and record until the motion stops or my setting (I would choose 5 minutes) I would get all the footage I need. Battery life wouldn't matter to me because 1) if the motion stopped at 15 seconds, the recording would stop or; 2) if I could capture real "show-to-the-cops-footage" I wouldn't care if I had to replace the batteries more frequently.

That said:

PLEASE CHANGE ARLO TO STOP RECORDING ONLY AFTER THE MOTION HAS STOPPED OR BASED ON OUR USER PREFERENCE!!! Thanks!

Anyone agree or experiencing the same? Please chime in and hopefully the folks at Arlo make it happen!

Comments
SurrealOne
Onlooker

Do you work for Reconyx? please dont take it the wrong way but all of your post you bring up the same product and even your screen name?

Spoiler

SeattleChris
Follower

I could not agree with this suggestion more. I just received a two-pack Arlo Pro for Christmas and set it up by our two exterior doors. The problem is precisely what the original poster here mentioned. So much so, in fact, that I immediately posted a message of my own to this effect—only to now realize that there is already a requests here for the exact same thing.

I performed extensive research on all of the outdoor, wire-free cameras available on the market. Arlo Pro stood out far on top. However, this limitation is a non-starter of which most reviewers were not aware. The missed action between clips is a major failing point in the possibility of this product serving as a true video security and surveillance system.

Linksys: Can you advise as to whether this functionality will be coming to the Arlo Pro any time soon?

I think I'm planning on putting the money together and getting the blink camera system instead. It's cheaper it's got more features than what I have. the company isn't shady. they create new products to go along with the products they already have. their not out to just get more money out of their customers.

So I think I'm going to move to Blink instead and just sell this crap on the eBay I guess cause it's garbage
ReconyxSC950
Apprentice

No, I don't work or are affiliated with Reconyx except being an owner of their equipment when I used to do QDMA surveys for land mangement purposes.

I chose that "moniker" from the camera models I use. They have some of the best of the top end equipment available but comes at a heftier price than this technology.

I hope this helps you out.

ReconyxSC950

mocodi
Apprentice

For those who hope returning their Arlo will send a message, maybe follow it up by posting a pic of the return receipt here to show Netgear you weren't kidding and that this issue was the reason.

Area71
Aspirant
I was looking same feature in the Arlo Pro cost me 299 from bestbuy only 1 camera and frustrated that it does not suit my requirements. The may have sd card option if they concerned for storage.

It must have option for continous record. My 20 dollar indoor wireless camera has all these options.
ReconyxSC950
Apprentice

A hardwired system would be your best bet. It's like the game camera commercial line compared to the "Homebrew" (made by individuals) to which one is better.

There's a big difference in the two but, it all boils down to what is it you're trying to achieve with your cameras and your unique settings.

In all fairness, I think many are asking too much out of something that isn't available "YET" from Netgears line of cameras.

All great points made but, in my personal opinion, I'd seek another route for now.

Area71
Aspirant
I love the camera and doing testing e.g example speaker not working and not sending emails etc.
There is other thread for speaker known issue
foxfly
Guide

Please add this function to the Arlo wireless system!

Giouser
Follower
Fantastic idea. I might not purchase another arlo product if something like this is not available for it.