Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

adjustable alert zone shapes and zone dependant alerts

Come on... I need alarms only on my front and interior doors.  trapezoidal zones is the answer not third grade programmers with squares and rectangles.  Prove to the world that you can do better.

VMB4000r3

4R03757UA2CDB

1.9.0.0_14639

Thanks for listening

Tim

Comments
TRH13
Novice

This a a great idea!  The motion detection picks up anything in the screen, ie... cars, trees... Its a pain to pannel through the videos and try to see anything  improtant 

T-n-B
Novice

Ditto the feature request, mentioned on other forums and upvoted here. 

AntmanXP
Star

I would like the ability to define an activity zone by an irrgular polygon instead of a simple rectangle.  I have a fenced yard, and I'd like to define my zone by monitoring any movment inside the fence, but covering the area with a rectangle would include the nearby street which will cause false triggering.  I suggest allow customers to place a Start Point #1, and follow it with a straight line to a Point #2, and then Point #3, etc., until the irregular shape is defined.  When the last point is placed, the customer could click "Close Loop" to return the final line back to Point #1; thereby enclosing your zone.  See the attached picture as an example.

SpaceBear
Tutor

I'd like to upvote this as well.  Hopefully this would be easy to implement 

I create multiple square zones to approximate the irregularly shaped area I want to monitor however it seems we are limited to three zones.  This is pretty ridiculous.

SpaceBear
Tutor

I second this request!

pbridenbaugh
Fledgling

Fully agree with the need for a polygon. I could accept limitations to the complexity of the polygon but a simple rectangle is way too limiting.

BigSargeME
Follower

Just setup and tested out my first camera and this "Idea" was the first thing to strike me as an "omission". When I read about the motion zone feature I assumed you could draw polygons to define them.

This would obviously help reduce false notifications by taking say a road out of play. False notifications has to be in the top 10 of customer complaints.

Additionally, I can see uses for overall security decision making coming from this ability and it's what I had in mind when I made the first purchase. Example: I have a street, yard and woodline in view of the camera at the front of the house. I would define a zone at the woodline from ground level to "man-height" and I'd like to be able to give motion here a higher priority when alerted to it; people coming toward house from woods clearly up to no good. But because the road and woodline are diagonal to the cameras perspective I can't do this with rectangles.

I'll buy more cameras when this is implimented and weather proof option for Q-plus is availible. 

markp74
Aspirant

I agree that having to setup activity zones as boxes is extremely limiting and very poor design. I have seen other camera systems such as Swann (and even no name brand Chinese cameras) have the ability to select boxes in a grid over the camera image to set the activity zone - a much better option than trying to use a box or series of boxes. I would say this would be an easier solution to implement than drawing polygons.

dobodob
Follower

The real world isn't based on right angles, so activity zones shouldn't be based on right angles either. It would be nice if we could create custom polygons I could draw myself or adjust the vertices/anchors of an existing shape. I need to cut out windy plants and street traffic and 3 rectangles isn't the best way to do it.

Existing rectangles vs preferred  shape.Existing rectangles vs preferred shape.

veener79
Luminary

So far I am liking the idea of smart zones, but I have some issues that has me wondering if I will keep it after the trail.  

The biggest issue is why can you only setup zones at a 90deg angle?  I am on a corner lot so the front of my house the lawn is on a 45deg angle on both sides.  So not to pickup cars on the street I have to setup the zones very weird per my screen shot below.  If I had unlimited zone I could setup or a way to adjust the angle of the zone it would be perfect for me. Screenshot_2018-06-30-11-54-45.png