Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Temporarily suspend video and audio recording

It would be nice to have a mode called "Temporarily Suspend" that disables the current mode for a set period of time (30 min, 1 hr, 2 hr, etc).  This would allow a user to turn off all cameras but they would automatically return to the previous mode after the set period of time.

Comments
ARF1
Onlooker

I think that because such an important and frequently requested feature has been ignored for so many years one can only conclude that Arlo is not customer driven and this forum for requesting features is just window dressing.

It is really short-sighted on Arlo Management’s part not proving this feature, because instead of my disabling the system or a camera when there is a lot of activity, I just leave it on which means that instead of an average of 6 recordings a day on just one of my 6 camera’s  to the Arlo Cloud, Arlo's system now has to deal with many dozens of recordings from me, which means it costs Arlo more in their infrastructure / system and bandwidth requirements.

Other people are probably doing the same because they don’t want to risk forgetting to re-enable their system/camera, thereby greatly increasing overall back-end system activity.  This overall load could be why I frequently see big delays; where a package delivery person has already come and gone several minutes before I get notification of the activity. This behavior makes me question my investment in Arlos’ products and service.

timothjb
Fledgling

Bravo! I totally agree with you. I have given up on Netgear support and will look into alternatives for my next camera. Maybe I will relegate my current camera to backyard duty while finding something more suitable for my porch. Meanwhile I will post my criticism of Netgear (well deserved in my opinion) wherever I get a chance.

StephenB
Guru
@timothjb  wrote:

I have given up on Netgear support ... I will post my criticism of Netgear (well deserved in my opinion) ....

FYI, Netgear divested Arlo in 2018.

ronnyek
Fledgling

I frequently need to disarm cameras because of a gardener, or I've got someone doing other work at my house. I'd really like the ability to just disarm, but specify an hour or 5 hours or something, so that if I for whatever reason forget to re-arm the cameras, they will automatically arm themselves after specified time expired.

This isnt about setting a schedule... 99% of the time, I want cameras armed... just be able to temporarily disable under specific conditions. *(and have it re-arm in case I forget later to re-arm)