Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Show image/snapshot when motion is detected

I get alerts that there is motion occurring. I have a camera at my front door. There are no windows, and I would like to know who is ringing my doorbell. It would be nice to have the option to have an image sent with the alert. It takes awhile to open the app and play the video. I guess a snapshot or delayed live stream accessible with one click would do it. Using iOS.

Comments
adambean
Luminary
The Samsung babywise had a cool feature where on a specified schedule, you could take a picture. Can you implement the same?

Thanks
JamesC
Community Manager

The Arlo development team routinely reviews posts in the Arlo Idea Exchange to assess which features the community would like to see implemented. We greatly appreciate the community’s contribution and will keep the status of this idea updated as we get new information on its potential implementation. Thank you for posting your idea!

IceX
Follower

Great idea...

Alyssa
Novice

I've been thinking about this feature and how helpful it would be.

When the camera detects motion, it could take a photo to send with the notification before recording video. It wouldn't add a lot of time between detection and recording, but it would allow us to see what's happening before we are able to connect to the live feed or access the recorded video. 

When someone pulls up in our driveway, I like to know who it is right away. It takes at least 20 seconds to see the live feed, and by then they could be at the door. If Arlo would send an instant photo with the notification (or email, text, whatever), I could see who it is right away without the need to see the live feed. Then if I needed to, I could go check the feed or watch the video. 

If this could happen, I'm sure it would help a lot of users! 

Thanks!

archon810
Apprentice

Image notifications - and in fact animated GIF ones - is one of my favorite Nest features that my Arlo Pros don't offer. Please add them to the Android app.

Lisey
Star

this is an excellent idea +1 on this request

archon810
Apprentice

Guys, I have some bad news. Arlo did implement this already (as a static image, not a GIF), but it's part of the paid Arlo Smart service. It even puts a rectangle around the objects it detects, like people.

Considering they brought it on as part of the paid subscription, I doubt they're planning on offering it to free users. It'd be a good thing to compete with Nest though.

Komainu85
Onlooker

I believe nest does this, really good idea! 

ChristineT
Arlo Employee Retired
Status changed to: Coming Soon

SKhandu
Initiate

Great to know "Coming Soon" but is there a timeline ? this is a feature that's been requested for a year plus by so many.  Thanks