Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Show image/snapshot when motion is detected

I get alerts that there is motion occurring. I have a camera at my front door. There are no windows, and I would like to know who is ringing my doorbell. It would be nice to have the option to have an image sent with the alert. It takes awhile to open the app and play the video. I guess a snapshot or delayed live stream accessible with one click would do it. Using iOS.

Comments
andrewfmyers
Novice

I recently switched over from a couple of Nest cameras to the Arlo Q Plus due to the POE connectivity option. I love the Arlo for that reason but I have two ideas I would love to see implemented which would help greatly with the efficiency of reviewing alert events.

1. The Nest app historical videos (e.g. library of recorded events) shows a preview of all the videos by displaying a time lapse of each one. Rather than requiring the user to watch in 1x speed each and every video to determine if its a legitimate event, Nest shows a sped up version of the video by playing every 10th or 20th frame essentially creating a quick time lapse of that clip. This is a feature I miss very much from the Nest App that the Arlo app is missing.

2. Similarly, when the Nest app pushes an alert to your device, it also displays a single frame/image in the pull down notification menu on Android phones. This is also very useful as it can give the user a quick frame of reference to see if the alert was a false alarm due to a car passing and its headlights shining within the alert zone triggering the notification or if its a person/animal coming into the frame that requires further review. 

These two features are huge advantages that Nest carries over Arlo. They are almost big enough to get me to switch back to the Nest cams because of how much time and effort it saves me every day when reviewing footage. 

If I can offer more insight or provide any further assistance, please don't hestitate. 

Eugr
Guide

It would be nice to have a snapshot of the activity attached to the notification on Android, similar to how Nest does it. It is already implemented for emails, should be an easy task.

JamesC
Community Manager

The Arlo development team routinely reviews posts in the Arlo Idea Exchange to assess which features the community would like to see implemented. We greatly appreciate the communities contribution and will keep the status of this idea updated as we get new information on it's potential implementation. Thank you for posting your idea!

Thank you,

JamesC

ohayonguy
Follower

Hey all,

So I recently bought an Arlo Wire-Free Camera system and I am quite happy with it. I bought it because I read on its manual that it can capture a snapshot on motion detection (I don't need a video, I just need to see what's going on when there is motion detected, and that it will not use a lot of bandwidth). Unfortunately, after I bought the system and started to configure it, I realized that it only has to option to either capture a video or do nothing (no snapshot on motion detection!!!!). I contacted NETGEAR's support and they confirmed that their manual contanied a mistake!

So, I suggest adding the snapshot option. If NETGEAR could do that, that would be awesome because that's the reason I bought these cameras in the first place.

Thanks.

TomMac
Guru

At this time, only the Q cameras can take snapshots

Twisters
Tutor

I think a cool feature would be to integrate a captured image when motion is detected and sent with the alert that your phone gets at that same time.  This way, I can determine immediately if I ned to open the app and sound the alarm or take a closer look at what was going on or something. 

JamesC
Community Manager

Twisters,

The Arlo development team routinely reviews posts in the Arlo Idea Exchange to assess which features the community would like to see implemented. We greatly appreciate the communities contribution and will keep the status of this idea updated as we get new information on it's potential implementation. Thank you for posting your idea!

Thank you,

JamesC

When there is motion at my front door, I'm setup to be notified. Would love if the system also sent out the same frame used as thumbnail image within the library. That way I would get notified but be able to see right away that it was UPS, a neighbor, a salesman, etc. This would keep from needing to open the app and view unnecessarily. Also, as an Apple Watch user, I could leave my phone in my pocket and just see the delivered image on my wrist. Can be setup through a text msg if needed.
JamesC
Community Manager

Thank you,

JamesC

fkme
Apprentice

Hi,

Is it possible when you log in we could get a live/current image instead of the last image which can be hours old?

This way we wouldn,t need to select "Live" to check on things....