Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Outdoor alarm add-on or accessory to scare away intruder without waking neighborhood

-- I'm suggesting an External siren I can choose to *pulse quickly* a few short blasts --  or let it go continuously for 30 secs., or 60 secs., etc.

-- In the Forum, it lists the outdoor alarm issue as Solved ----- but it is *not* solved.

Only a Dlink workaround was suggested -- and it was noted that the Dlink alarm connected thru IFTTT is *not*loud enough to scare away intruder.

-- Controllable alarm is requested --  because

----- you don't want to wake the entire neighborhood if you are successful in scaring the burglar away with just a pulse or short blast of the Alarm. A controllable accessory Alarm you could mount inside (or outside) would make this system very solid. 

----- If the person persists, you could sound a louder alarm for a longer period, so that neighbors will call police or be warned there is danger in the area.

Scaring away the intruder is crucial --because thieves often *do not mind being on camera* and they know that police never show up in time to stop them from stealing.

------ A burglar who does not hear a loud alarm will simply continue robbing the house--even if he has seen or stolen your Arlo camera already..

So the Arlo system needs a loud, outdoor, controllable-from-the-app alarm.

(Contollable as to volume and length of alarm blast.)

Comments
_nd345
Initiate

+1 with chirp or sound from Arlo pro camera speaker with adjustable volume.

Genkisan
Aspirant

An outdoor alarm is a proven deterrent and therefore an essential part of any home security. I would like to see this option. It would also be great to purchase additional internal sirens to place around the house.

Xichlo
Luminary

We have Pets and do not want/need indoor siren. Please design a battery powered outdoor siren that can use the Solar Panel for recharge as even if not used batteries will lose power. Love the Pro 2 System so far, especialy the comunication range, have one cam that is 3 sheet rock walls and an insulated Slump Block wall away and get perfect signal.

meier3283
Guide

Incorporating a siren of sorts, within each camera, would allow more flexibility of where the siren is directed.  I'm not sure what the speak is capable of, that's already built in. But, for a software only change, give us the ability to use it to send some sort of tone, either via triggers, or manually.  Pretty easy to implement without adding hardware. (again, only if the current speaker can do a decent enough job)

gaca
Novice

The purpose of a security camera is 1. Identification.

The 720 is laughable for that purpose either license plate numbers or facial recognition in additon to night vision being poor at best

2 The speaker system is a punch line for a joke. Ineffective

3.If you have a siren , wouldn't you want it outside.  Is that where the intrusion starts

My suggest is to have a external speaker for both the purpose of talking to a  person on camera , but also to use as a siren outside

TreasureB
Apprentice

"

So the Arlo system needs a loud, outdoor, controllable-from-the-app alarm.

(Contollable as to volume and length of alarm blast.)"

I Totally agree. To be useful the Arlo Pro sysem Definitely needs an outdoor controllable siren.

And the addition a suggested above comment "+1 with chirp or sound from Arlo pro camera speaker with adjustable volume." The Arlo App sound notification is not loud enough to hear, especially while sleeping.

zammer204
Novice

This is a great idea, I need an alarm for my detached garage, would be great to have the garage motion sensor/camera be set off when movement is detected. 

Netgear please make it happen! 

JonHill
Novice

Adding my plus 1 to the need for a separate outdoor app controllable alarm. My setup is intended to monitor outbuildings and the alarm on the base unit is useless for this. That's the main reason I didn't purchase the Arlo Pro, the D-Link is not an ideal solution but with the absence of a Netgear device may be the way I have to go. I'd be more than willing to pay for this.

MarcCBR
Onlooker

I would purchase one as well

brh
Master
Master

Unfortunately, or fortunately depending on where one lives there might be noise ordinances to consider or Alarm Permits being required. In my municipality and many others, both are required. Setting off an outdoor alarm without a permit could result in a big fine.

Brian