Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Outdoor alarm add-on or accessory to scare away intruder without waking neighborhood

-- I'm suggesting an External siren I can choose to *pulse quickly* a few short blasts --  or let it go continuously for 30 secs., or 60 secs., etc.

-- In the Forum, it lists the outdoor alarm issue as Solved ----- but it is *not* solved.

Only a Dlink workaround was suggested -- and it was noted that the Dlink alarm connected thru IFTTT is *not*loud enough to scare away intruder.

-- Controllable alarm is requested --  because

----- you don't want to wake the entire neighborhood if you are successful in scaring the burglar away with just a pulse or short blast of the Alarm. A controllable accessory Alarm you could mount inside (or outside) would make this system very solid. 

----- If the person persists, you could sound a louder alarm for a longer period, so that neighbors will call police or be warned there is danger in the area.

Scaring away the intruder is crucial --because thieves often *do not mind being on camera* and they know that police never show up in time to stop them from stealing.

------ A burglar who does not hear a loud alarm will simply continue robbing the house--even if he has seen or stolen your Arlo camera already..

So the Arlo system needs a loud, outdoor, controllable-from-the-app alarm.

(Contollable as to volume and length of alarm blast.)

Comments
Lisey
Star

would be great to be able to buy a stand alone siren that we can trigger remotely via app

Lisey
Star

+1 but i have the normal arlo and woudl love a stand alone siren

JHort
Novice

clex2 - Did you ever end up getting the D-Link siren? I just had an alro Q plus and the D-Link wifi siren delivered yesterday and came to this post after tyring to get them to work, but at this point am probably going to return both. Really hoping someone else found a reasonable solution to adding an siren, but so far I've found on paper it should work to create IFTTT applets to have Arlo motion and/or audio alerts trigger the alarm on the siren (you can pick alarm type from a list of 6 or so), however it doesn't work.

First off I get an error ("There was a problem with the Arlo service") in IFTTT for any Alro triggers, regardless of what they're triggering. I chatted with an Arlo support rep yesterday who said they're currently doing updates and to try again later / today but I'm not too optimistic.

The only work-around I've found at this point, more for fun than anything else, is to have Arlo send an email to your cell (Ex. with verizon you get SMS messages if you email phone#@vtext.com), then set up an IFTTT applet that's triggered by an SMS message that meets search criteria (ex. "Arlo"), and triggers the D-Link Siren. So far it triggers the alarm about 15 - 30 seconds after Arlo detects motion / audio, but it seems a little glitchy. Overall IFTTT doesn't seem to be anywhere near stable enough to be used for a security system if you want it to work. 

clex2
Guide

Yes, I got the D-link siren to work without any issues.  Using IFTTT, when my Arlo can detects motion, the Alarm siren goes off.  With my Skybell, if someone rings the door bell or motion is detected, the door bell chime sound on the D-link siren goes off.  It basically works as I envisioned.  The only thing I can't get to work, and I think it's an IFTTT issue, is when sound is detected in the garage through my Alro pro in the detached garage, I can't make an IFTTT aplet because on the IFTTT site, it won't let me choose sound detected as a trigger, only motion.  The sound detection menu is blank and shows no avaible cameras.

JHort
Novice

Oh interesting, are you using an Arlo Q / Q plus or pro? Maybe it's something with the Arlo Q or just my particular setup (but no idea what would impact it), I'll keep bugging support about it 🙂

clex2
Guide

I am using the Arlo PRO setup.

Duboismd
Aspirant

This is exactly the missing piece for my arlo pro kit set up. Great Idea!

tonyiad
Novice

I’d like to add my voice to an outdoor alarm.  I’d rather scare intruders away before they enter my premises. We’ve been burgled twice so know the importance of not waiting for an internal alarm to go off and be heard.

StevenL
Star

The DLink alarm also has to be plugged into an AC outlet.  I would prefer to see a completely wireless alarm that is WiFi and battery operated.  

CTOY
Fledgling

Could you not add an output jack that is connect to the siren, giving users the option to add an exterior speaker?  

c_lee wrote:
-- I'm suggesting an External siren I can choose to *pulse quickly* a few short blasts --  or let it go continuously for 30 secs., or 60 secs., etc.

-- In the Forum, it lists the outdoor alarm issue as Solved ----- but it is *not* solved.

Only a Dlink workaround was suggested -- and it was noted that the Dlink alarm connected thru IFTTT is *not*loud enough to scare away intruder.

-- Controllable alarm is requested --  because

----- you don't want to wake the entire neighborhood if you are successful in scaring the burglar away with just a pulse or short blast of the Alarm. A controllable accessory Alarm you could mount inside (or outside) would make this system very solid. 

----- If the person persists, you could sound a louder alarm for a longer period, so that neighbors will call police or be warned there is danger in the area.

Scaring away the intruder is crucial --because thieves often *do not mind being on camera* and they know that police never show up in time to stop them from stealing.

------ A burglar who does not hear a loud alarm will simply continue robbing the house--even if he has seen or stolen your Arlo camera already..

So the Arlo system needs a loud, outdoor, controllable-from-the-app alarm.

(Contollable as to volume and length of alarm blast.)