Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

On & Off buttons for cameras (or maybe for the entire system)

It would be kind of nice to have on/off buttons for all of the cameras connected to the system.  Maybe even a global on/off button.  The scenario is......I'm at home and I don't want anything to be recorded.  Right now, it is a bit roundabout to have to create a new rule & scheduling it.

Thanks!!!!

Comments
R_Lowe
Luminary

That's a wonderful idea for convenience.  I'm extremely surprised that is not available now (I just got my 4-cam Arlo system yesterday but haven't opened the box yet or set it up).  Otherwise, yes, like your circuit breakers at a home, switches for each area, but one master switch to shut everything down.  Seem extremely logical and helpful!

Schorschi
Prodigy

Doesn't the "Motion All Off" mode provide that functionality? If no camera reacts to any motion event, the cameras are basically off.

MiBaDK
Aspirant

Having a camera that the intruder can walk over and turn off seems a little off?

Turning it off with your app would give you the same result?

UliLong
Follower

The support told me that if you shutdown the base station all the cam go in stand-by and save energy...

cazidog
Initiate
It would be nice to turn the cameras on/off. I don't know, if you chose the most expensive batteries on the market, but they're pretty dang close. In all honesty, if I had known about the 12 batteries being $8.00/pack of 4 I would've passed on this system. Anyway, back to the point. It would be nice, if there was an on/off option to the cameras I don't need to use always. It would save battery life.
oliverwolf
Novice

The support told me that the cams are searching for the base station once it is shut down and could therefore waste more battery. To be honest I believe she was right because one of my two cams ran out of battery after not even 2 weeks (standby 6-8 hrs a day, access just a few minutes per day but most time the base station shut down). So I think shutting down the base station is not an option and could decrease battery life. It is a shame that there is no way to shut down the whole system. I do not want the cams to be online when being at home. There is always a feeling of being observed ... you never know who is hacking into the system....

oliverwolf
Novice

Not even 2 weeks after purchasing the system with 2 cams one ran out of battery although it was accessed not even minutes a day and was on standby for 6-8 hrs a day. The support told me that if I shut down the base station the cam might search for it constantly and waste energy. However I do not want the cams to be online all the time: especially not if I am at home because it gives me a feeling of being observed (who guarantees that the system is secure to any hacker attacks?). But according to the support there is no way to completely shut down the cams. If I knew that I would have purchased another system. So please think about adding an option (hard or software based) to shut down the whole system!

JamesC
Community Manager

A very reasonable suggestion. Thank you for the feedback!

Deacon1949
Tutor

It would be fast and easy to have an on and off button by each camera to diasable it while you were cutting grass or shoveling snow. Simple and quick.

Thanks

Deacon 1949

Deacon1949
Tutor

It would be fast and easy to have an on and off button by each camera to diasable it while you were cutting grass or shoveling snow. Simple and quick.

Thanks

Deacon 1949