Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Continue Recording while while watching live feed

Hi There,

I would like if the camera continued to record motion at the same time while watching the live feed without me having to manually hit the record button.

There has been times when i was watching a live feed, my infant was doing something cute and i wanted it recorded.  BUT, when i went into my recorings there was nothign there for the moment i wanted to capture.

Jeremy

Comments
LordRegis
Initiate

I use a wall mounted ipad for live view with my Arlo-Q but I still want it to record motion detection and send me notifications! Please allow this! 

Roach
Novice

Disappointed on Netgear that such a critical feature is missed out and had not been completely fixed after a long period of time.  I would probably not choose arlo as my security solution if I knew that. 

LordRegis
Initiate

I stream my arlo Q to a wall monitor. I would like the motion detection feature to still allow it to record. Currently I get a notification but no recording unless the live stream is stopped.

TomMac
Guru

when you go to LIVE view, you are over-riding the motion detect....

simple fix is when live viewing is to manually start a record session

LordRegis
Initiate

@TomMac That is indeed a simple solution in some scenarios.

What I am requesting in this suggestion forum is the implimentation of an optional feature that doesn't override. Not everybody uses the devices in the same way.

For example:

I have a shared account for the purpose of streaming. I stream one camera 24/7 to a wall-mounted display. I am carrying out a lot of tasks at my desk and need to be able to glance up and see activity on the screen. Clearly it is hugely inconvenient to get up, walk to the wall and press 'record', then wait there until the activity stops to press 'stop'.

What I am requesting therefore is exactly as the original title, which is the acknowledgement that to be diverse and a cusomer-centric business, the actual user needs must be considered and in my particualr scenario that is the ability to auto-record during a live stream.

There are many scenarios where this would allow usage both for residential customers and SMEs.

Some people want to record a log of every vehicle or every person who enters the property (nightclubs frequently do this by scanning IDs). But that doesn't work if security is monitoring the arlo camera. We still need to take a quick record of everyone that passes through, despite also streaming the camera.

So I maintain my request - I want to be able to auto-record during a live stream. I am not alone in this request.

TomMac
Guru

No problem...a good request.  Was just mentioning in case of you unaware.

As a side question, How long does the Q stay live for you... In the past the Q stayed up for all time online, and then later FW version cut off the line stream at 1+ hrs.... what are you seeing now ?

LordRegis
Initiate

Thank you for the clarification Smiley Happy

I am currently streaming to an ipad pro which is very fast and the Q stays live all day. I typically only live stream for 5-8 hours. I have a new arlo Q and the basestation with the alarm that came with my Pro 2 cameras.  I actually got the Arlo Q because the pro 2 would time out, so I am pleased it is working for continuous streaming.

I will be streaming to android devices in other locations however and not all have the same processing power as the ipad pro. I do not know if this can contrinute to time-outs. I use the 

Kammfam
Luminary

Wow, I was wondering why I keep missing videos, and just found this thread. To see that this is how the system was designed is infuriating! Why would there not be some sort of warning or instructions about this "feature"?!  Even if I'm watching live feed, I might not hit the record button fast enough to catch the movement. I don't understand why they would deactivate the motion detection during live stream. 😞

Rasmus_DK
Onlooker

I think it is a huge problem and flaw within the Arlo system that the motion recording is NOT continued when I shift to live view in the app. I have been in contact with Arlo support and the staff confirms that the system is intended to behave like this to save battery power - but it is pure crazy.

I can see that this problem/idea has actually been discussed here before and a lot of people have the same experience - and fear - as me: It is in no way logical that you need to press the record button in the live view window after getting a notification about detected motion and then shifting to live view to see what is going on at home. Of course I open the live view when something unexpected is going on outside my home. I don't even get a warning that the motion recording is stopped! The result: I have no complete evidence if a serious situation is going on at home and I have been watching it... and I bet most users don't have any idea of this.

Please: Let the motion recording continue even though the user shift to live view. I really can't see why anyone at Arlo seriously can think the present functionality is what you would expect from a home security system.

DavidUK1
Fledgling

Arlo, if the above is the case how do I go about claiming a full refund for my newly purchased Pro 2 setup? 

Can’t believe I just spent over £750 on this setup. The lag and time lost between Notification- it recording some motion - to viewing live - recording stopping - and clicking record when live is displayed  is huge..  but would be satisfactory if it continued recording because you could play it back without issue

I haven’t seen this mentioned anywhere other than here, which you only discover when you begin using it. 

So please either fix it, or allow me to get a refund.  Its been installed for just two days.