Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Continue Recording while while watching live feed

Hi There,

I would like if the camera continued to record motion at the same time while watching the live feed without me having to manually hit the record button.

There has been times when i was watching a live feed, my infant was doing something cute and i wanted it recorded.  BUT, when i went into my recorings there was nothign there for the moment i wanted to capture.

Jeremy

Comments
Fortu01
Novice
I was watching in live view on my new Arlo Ultra camera. My daughter walked through and knew I was testing out the new camera so she started acting silly. When I went to show my wife, there was no recorded event. I retested this several times and had the same outcome.
It seems if you are watching the camera in live mode, it will not take any recordings when motion is detected.
I would like it to still record when motion is detected even if I am viewing in live mode.
TomMac
Guru

Good idea,

for some reason Alro has always done it this way...when you are in manual live view, you are overriding the motion detect feature.... easy way to fix is click on the record icon ( round circle with dot )

Civrock
Initiate

That's hardly a "fix"... I like to have my cameras up on my iPad most of the day while on my computer, live. If any motion is detected, as advertised, it should be recording. Why would I want to manually record continuously for possibly hours when there isn't any motion? As you can see in this thread, now at 11 pages and 2 years later, many others have same or similar use cases to justify Arlo fixing this significant lack of function respectively limitation.

Why should it override the motion detect feature while someone is viewing it live? Whoever came up with this limitation, or didn't consider it a problem prior to release, should not be working in the security/monitoring field. The same applies to anyone who doesn't consider this a priority to address.

Cam3
Fledgling

Please fix. I am sick of losing footage just because I went into live view.

This is clearly not by design. No one in their right mind let alone an entire team of developers would think that was a good design. It will be because it was too hard to build within a time limit or some other constraint.

Whatever the constraints this is really unacceptable.

I will not be recommending Arlo until this is fixed.

Cam3
Fledgling

At the very least there should be an option to enable automatic recording whenever we enter live view, rather than having to remember to hit a button.

ArloProOwner
Apprentice

When pressing "Live" view the camera should automatically record without having to press the record button, which on some of my 10 cameras doesn't even appear so that you can manually record.  It's very bizarre because most of my 10 cameras the record circle button will appear and on others it does not so I cannot manually record during live viewing.   It needs to automatically record when you press LIVE view just because there are time the camera looks like it's starting to record and then it stops and you press the record button again and it starts and then it stops on its own.  So please change it so that it automatically records when Live view is pressed.  Otherwise it actually defeats the purpose of having Arlo Pro/Pro2 cameras.  Also, please make this system able to fast forward view on recorded playbacks.    Someone suggested 2x or 3x or 4x fast forward speeds, which would be absolutely awesome.  And make it so that you can watch it  speed by so you don't miss what you're watching the recording for.

Thank you! 

10/02/2019 USA 4:14 pm E.S.T.

jellynineone
Novice

Completely agree with everyone on this post. The camera and video detection should continue working as normal in the background even if you are viewing liv mode, any live manual recordings should be saved in addition to what the system would already record itself. 

Numerous times I have been using live and not pressed record myself and then have no recording of what I just witnessed. This is surely a basic function that needs addressing. 

prix57
Aspirant

When will there be an update to get this fixed? 

SomeDude2
Onlooker
This makes no sense at all. Why would recording shut down just because live view is used?
samrose
Fledgling

I experienced this last night when I got a notification that there was motion detected. I immediately went to live view and saw someone acting suspiciously, especially as there have been a number of break ins locally, and was able to deter them.

I went to review the footage and because I went into live mode, theres nothing.

What an amazing security feature by design that is, thanks Arlo...

I'll be following this up with a full refund.