Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Q - Direct Connect (Baby Monitor)

I am going to suggest a great much needed idea. Please support this so that netgear implements. Currently there is much lag when operating the Arlo q in live mode. So much lag that is makes live mode pretty much useless for monitoring a baby. Currently I have a 5-10 second delay in live mode and am connected at 60Mbps. The reason for this is that connecting through the netgear servers adds the delay to what you see on your device.

This is very easily solved my a minor enhancement. Arlo needs to be updated to allow a direct connect feature where if you are on the same network as Arlo q (home) you can enable from your smart device to connect directly to the Arlo q bypassing the servers. This would allow true real time live mode and ability to truly see if your baby needs help now (not 15 seconds ago). Arlo could name this feature "baby mode". Not very complicated with great benefits!

While in live mode (baby monitor mode) it would also be great if motion detection could be enabled and alert (ie you are watching your baby sleep in live mode. You don't want to stare at the screen for 8 hours so it would be nice to have an alert when baby moves in live mode.). Using the motion activated recording is useless for this. Takes to long to connect in to live view.

What I am asking for here can be used not just for baby monitor but other applications as well. It is such an easy change that I'm sure if others backed the need for this netgear would respond. It is in their favour since it will open them to the baby monitor market with a camera that can be used after the baby grows up as a security camera. Currently, it is a lawsuit waiting to happen where someone misses their baby choking by the 15s delay. You catch my drift. Thanks for listening.
Comments
rkm
Apprentice
Apprentice

Definitely a great idea - there are many use cases where I don't need any recording capabilities, but just use it as a sophisticated "babyphone".... reducing lag would be priority here!

DLDL
Initiate

This is definitely a feature that should be implemented asap. Currently the delay is way too long. It doesn't cover events as they're happening, only when they've already happened.

Also it should be quicker to view the feed, like a live-feed-only app that starts instantly.

frector99
Novice

I too purchased this camera specifically for baby monitoring but have found the lag time unacceptable for this purpose.  A direct connect bypassing the servers sounds like an excellent suggestion.  I really want to like this camera, but am considering returning it if arlo cannot address this issue soon. 

JT2N
Novice
Horrendous lag. Totally unnecessary. Returning device ASAP if no workaround. Awful.
Jaypeace
Novice

NETGEAR please fix this issue, I bought the camera specifically to be used as a baby monitor and it fails terribly at that. Please give us a proper local live view. This should be an easy fix and would really help your sales and reviews.

cedarfair
Fledgling

I have an ederly mother and would like to continually monitor her from another room via  a browser on a large monitior. When motion or sound is detected it would be great to recieve an notification or audible alert, 

Real time is important...

stoll-04
Follower

I also purchased the Arlo Q for use as a live streaming baby monitor solution.  

I can live with a slight lag (although not preferred), but am very disappointed that the video feed lag gets worse over time and eventually freezes and appears to still be broadcasting.

It would be excellent if a user could set up the camera feed to be routed through one's home and not through the distant servers.  

Ourzar
Novice
I agree with others here. It's very borderline to advertise something as a baby monitor and call it a live feed when there can be a delay in minutes of what you're seeing on the screen. Direct connection to the camera when on the same network would be greatly welcome.
Syst3mNZ
Onlooker

A quote from their own site (http://www.arlo.com/en-us/use-cases/nanny-cam/) 

"Baby monitors have their place, but seeing is believing. Arlo cameras let you know in a heartbeat whether the noise was something or nothing"

Sounds like they have a pretty loose definition of heartbeat. If you are going to promote this as a feature, then you should be providing real-time functionality

Pavil
Novice

Plus 1 support for this vital option as a baby monitor. 

Switched from a dlink dcs825l which was woeful... to my frustration this doesn't seem much better.

Another baby related feature would be to add the option for displaying camera time on the live feed. the camera clock would at least indicate the app was still streaming to the phone. also useful when checking the monitor in the middle of the night. I'll post this as an idea if it doesn't already exist.