Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Q - Direct Connect (Baby Monitor)

I am going to suggest a great much needed idea. Please support this so that netgear implements. Currently there is much lag when operating the Arlo q in live mode. So much lag that is makes live mode pretty much useless for monitoring a baby. Currently I have a 5-10 second delay in live mode and am connected at 60Mbps. The reason for this is that connecting through the netgear servers adds the delay to what you see on your device.

This is very easily solved my a minor enhancement. Arlo needs to be updated to allow a direct connect feature where if you are on the same network as Arlo q (home) you can enable from your smart device to connect directly to the Arlo q bypassing the servers. This would allow true real time live mode and ability to truly see if your baby needs help now (not 15 seconds ago). Arlo could name this feature "baby mode". Not very complicated with great benefits!

While in live mode (baby monitor mode) it would also be great if motion detection could be enabled and alert (ie you are watching your baby sleep in live mode. You don't want to stare at the screen for 8 hours so it would be nice to have an alert when baby moves in live mode.). Using the motion activated recording is useless for this. Takes to long to connect in to live view.

What I am asking for here can be used not just for baby monitor but other applications as well. It is such an easy change that I'm sure if others backed the need for this netgear would respond. It is in their favour since it will open them to the baby monitor market with a camera that can be used after the baby grows up as a security camera. Currently, it is a lawsuit waiting to happen where someone misses their baby choking by the 15s delay. You catch my drift. Thanks for listening.
Comments
ChristineT
Arlo Employee Retired
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Same frustration here, lag in live view makes it unusable for 2way communication. Looks like a bad joke. Please netgear at least answer us.

Gonna return this expensive toy in few days if no answer
Same frustration here, lag in live view makes it unusable for 2way communication. Looks like a bad joke. Please netgear at least answer us.

Gonna return this expensive toy in few days if no answer
Same here. I bought 2 Arlo Qs for monitoring newborn twins. The lag is unacceptable. It is borderline false advertisement saying you can see what happens "in the blink of an eye" with such variable lag. I can monitor the cameras on my phone, walk into the room and back out before I see anything on the app.

I guess Netgear is trying to make money off of their server packages. In the future I might be a customer of those packages but for right now I just want to see my newborns in their cribs with no lag.
Beevo
Onlooker
The overall Arlo Q design and innovation is great, but I agree that there should be a direct LAN connection to these devices to avoid latency. If this can be implemented in their upcoming firmware it would be considered a product better then the Nest that apparently had slim to no latency.
Beevo
Onlooker
I'm surprised that nobody from NetGear has commented on this thread since June?

NetGear: can you advise if your developers are able to address this in their firmware roadmap?
JamesC
Community Manager

The Arlo development team routinely reviews posts in the Arlo Idea Exchange to assess which features the community would like to see implemented. I do not currently have any information on the status of this idea or whether it is on the roadmap for future implementation.

We greatly appreciate the communities contribution and will keep the status of this idea updated as we get new information on it's potential implementation. 

Thank you,

JamesC

stantyan
Follower

Folks at Netgear did a huge mistake by advertising Arlo Q as a baby monitor in videos and in the descriptions everywhere. I followed this lie and purchased 2 Arlo Q cameras ($398). Now they are useless sitting in the closet (my return window is closed)! I experience a lag between 20-30 sec all the time, my internet speed 100MB/s, living in Europe. Image if you have a baby, this lag equals to years. This is a clear deceptive advertising example!

We NEED this feature ASAP, as Remlam suggested! Otherwise your reputation is going down to 0 with this kind of lame issues and deceptive advertising.

jasonlee
Fledgling

Just watch this video.

Starting at 2:22 she says "with 2 way audio you can communicate with people and even with pets"... ha... ha... ha... Do you know how much time is needed in order the 2-way microphone to be activated? And considering a huge lag in video too, it's like talking to a past and talking/watching things that happened 10-30 seconds ago.

Is it ok for you people at Netgear? Sell the cameras like hotcakes and then just reply with "The Arlo development team routinely reviews posts in the Arlo Idea Exchange to assess which features the community would like to see implemented. I do not currently have any information on the status of this idea or whether it is on the roadmap for future implementation."

Netgear, you made a bad and pathetic move. Huge dissapointment.

rubensz
Tutor

Hello,

same issue here with Arlo Q. I'm from Italy VDSL 50u/20d real.

I changed router, I asked to my ISP to check ADSL, I changed now from ADSL to VDSL (50d/20u), I changed all video and audio setup as possible, but lag is between 3s to anytime, without any checkable reasons by me.

The lag increase tremendously time by time if live session continue for minutes as babymonitor need.

it is really frustrating. I hope to see some improvement on the app and/or firmware.

Sorry for my english and thanks for sharing your think.

cheers

r