Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Allow Customizable Minimum Recording Time with Motion Detection

Currently when accessing Edit ModeEdit RuleRecording Settings there are only 2 options: one based on when motion ends and one based on a fixed time. I would really like to see some finer controls added to the Record until Activity Stops option.

The problem I am encountering right now is that the Arlo Pro camera is providing several short videos instead of one long, continuous video. I believe that this is because the system thinks that motion has stopped (perhaps someone walking up to the front door paused for a couple of seconds, for example) and so it stops recording until motion resumes. I think that a simple solution would be to add a user-configurable option for "time to record after motion stops". If this field were set to 10 seconds, then the camera would continue to record for 10 seconds after motion stops. Further motion during this countdown would then refresh the 10 second countdown.

This way, if the value were set sufficiently large a user would be able to get one continuous video instead of several short videos. I assume that such a buffer time already exists in the system's logic in order to counteract this issue on an even smaller scale, so it would be great if that could simply be made user-configurable.

Comments
theturtleroom
Fledgling

Currently, the arlo app gives us 2 choices when motion or audio is triggered: 1) record until motion/audio stops (but only up to 5 minutes total) and 2) record for a set amount of time after motion/audio is triggered.

I'd like to do the first, but with a minimum recording time. For instance, it would be great to set a minimum recording time of 30 seconds, but the timer gets reset every time motion is triggered while it is recording.

I'd also like to increase the maximum recording time, partly because of how I am using the cameras.

By combining the 1st setting with custom user settings for minimum and maximum recording length, anyone could find a combo of settings that works best for their application.

I want Arlo to add a feature that will allow me to control the frequency at which the camera controls the motion alerts.  Right now the camera picks up motion as often as it can.  There is no controlling it.  So I get a notification and camera footage way too often.  I have my Arlo cameras set up with Alexa to notify me verbally when it senses motion.  I let my dog out and every five to ten seconds, I get an alert saying "Motion in my backyard".  This is way too much.  I DO want to know that there is motion in my backyard and I DON'T want to change the sensitivity level.  I just want the capability to change how often I get a notification or recording.  Please add a feature that has a sliding bar (like the sensitivity) that allows me to control how often the camera records motion.  If you cant do the sliding bar, then give me options for every 15, 30, 60, and 120 seconds.  I want to know that I have motion in my backyard and I don't want to decrease the sensitivity but I do want to stop hearing about it every 5 seconds.  The frequency is way too short.  Thanks

Ersken
Novice
I think the camera stops recording to early and think a setting for how long after the motion stops the camera should record would be great for avoiding to many notifications or possibly missing where the intruder is going