Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras|NETGEAR
Guide

Still with the Flash?

Live view in the web based Arlo app STILL requires Flash?  Flash is dead people: https://theblog.adobe.com/adobe-flash-update/

Please integrate an HTML5 solution.

Message 1 of 30
Guru

Re: Still with the Flash?

Still needs flash...no mention of when hmtl5 may come

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Message 2 of 30
Initiate

Really? Flash? Huge security hole. Online keeps asking for flash over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over...I have tried Safari, Chrome, Opera, still asking for the "latest" version of flash. This is really getting frustrating. I can't view any of my cameras live online on my laptop. This has been an ongoing problem for at least a year. C'mon Netgear get your $&@% together. Nothing solves this, I download flash, I enable flash, etc. Still "Arlo needs the latest version of flash click here to install". Then click and download and install...."Arlo needs the latest verson of flash click here to install"...

Model: VMC3030 | Arlo Wire-Free Camera,VMC4030P| Arlo Pro 2 Wire-Free Cameraarlo.netgear.com | Web Site/App
Message 3 of 30
Initiate

Coming here to agree and express amazement. Just installing my first Arlo cameras (Amazon UK dialy deal too good to resist) and found the web interface requiring Adobe Flash. Are the people at Netgear still in the 20th century? Flash is dead, Chrome is/has removed all support for it and will probably soon block it completely.

HTML5 video please.

Model: VMC4030P | Arlo Pro 2 Wire-Free Camera
Message 4 of 30
Tutor

Same boat as you! When I saw that it made me wonder what I just bought and installed. I use Linux and Flash has long been a security risk. But the same goes for Windows and Mac. I just can't believe they are not using HTML5 yet? That is definetely going in my review at store.

Message 5 of 30
Initiate

I just want to express my frustration. I simply cannot believe Netgear still uses Flash in their web app. I just can't use my laptop to see my cameras and it's really frustrating.

The worst part is that Netgear simply does not respond, so we can deduct that they don't care about their clients.

I will not upgrade not reccomend Arlo to anyone based on this.

Model: VMB3000 | Arlo Base Station
Message 6 of 30

Seriously, Netgear.  WHY use Flash?  WHY not acknowledge a roadmap for replacing it?  Your insistence on using Flash makes Arlo a fairly useless product on my network.   There are alternatives!

Message 7 of 30
Initiate

I just bought an Arlo Pro 2 kit to my parents and was shocked it still required Flash.
Please respond that you acknowledge that Flash is a security risk / legacy and are working on HTML 5.

Message 8 of 30
Initiate

Nov 2018, still requires Flash, so not working on my brand new Mac. No probelm on ios.

Model: VMB3000 | Arlo Base Station
Message 9 of 30
Guide

This is unbelievable. Considering the privacy risk for such product it is borderline criminal to still be using Flash!

That will fail the first security requirements of the GDPR!

Message 10 of 30
Initiate

Just purchased Arlo Pro and I'm amazed that it requires Flash (does not work with Safari on Mac, nor do I want to install that junk from Adobe - been really hating flash since ~2000). Any official update on this from Netgear?

Model: VMC4030 | Arlo Pro Wire-Free Camera
Message 11 of 30
Aspirant

Agreed. Please stop using flash. This is a security hole. 

Message 12 of 30
Aspirant

This is pathetic.  Please move on from flash.  Stop recommending workarounds for the end-users, they will soon come to an abrupt end. 

Message 13 of 30

Same +1 vote here.  I'm primarily a Linux user;  Flash works (with workarounds) on Chromium, but refuses to work in Firefox on Linux.

Has anyone had a formal response yet from Netgear?

[EDIT: I have submitted a formal request directly into Arlo customer service] - will update here once we here back on their reponse for "plan of intent" on this

Message 14 of 30

Informal response from Arlo support (at this time; I had an extensive discussion over telephone with Arlo support -- they called me directly after my customer service e-mail to them)

• several users have submitted this concern of late and in the past (Arlo support is aware of the Flash security, compatibility, and EoL concerns)
  • Arlo support has forwarded this concern to the appropriate team internally (that is, my specific submission/occurence w/ reference to this community post) 
  • hopefully ARLO_SUPPORT tagged moderators of the community can please comment soon (the support staff suggested strongly that a community ARLO_MODERATOR has the strongest avenue to drive this into engineering)
  • we can (should) expect this fix to eventually come in a future update (though no timeline commitment exists at this time)

TIP: Arlo users, please be aware that a transition from a Flash solution to HTML5 does involve technical effort and qualification/testing etc.  We should all please be patient.  In my opinion, we should expect a formal commitment of intent from Arlo SOON to replace the Flash implementation, but timeline for switching to HTML5 will be beholdent to their project R&D software cycles which we should accept.

Message 15 of 30
Aspirant

Replying just to confirm the same issues with asking for Flash.

As mentioned, this is not an easy fix and hopefully will be priority in upcoming updates. 

Message 16 of 30

It being a complex technical issue is no different than rolling out new hardware like a doorbell or 4k camera. Kicking the can down the road will make it more difficult for existing users to continue using hardware they already own and even more difficult to justify paying for premium services.

An official response from Arlo acknowledging the issue shouldn't be this difficult. I for one can't and won't consider purchasing additional Arlo hardware or services until I know that Arlo is serious about making sure its customers can use all functionality without issue.
Message 17 of 30
Aspirant

I've been dealing with the same problem and thought it was just my system. What do I need to do for now? Arlo is loosing my interest bad in purchasing any more of their products. Re-sync weekly, off line, automatically going back to default settings. What a pain this is. 

James

Message 18 of 30
Highlighted
Tutor

I installed my first Arlo last night, and today finding out that the web UI uses Flash. WTH?

Netgear, you have had plenty of notice that Flash is insecure and dead. Why is this still a thing?

Message 19 of 30
Aspirant

Flash on the Mac is now very painful...

Safar - can't get a newer version and keep getting the banner "A newer version is required...."

Chrome - after installing the latest version, now get the banner, click the 'here' and then get pop-up from chrome to confirm 'arlo.netgear.com wants to run Flash', clicking OK then boots you off the site and you have to log back in again....

Come on Netgear, Adobe announced the planned EOL for Flash, way back in July 2017

Model: VMB4000 | Arlo Pro/Pro2 Base Station
Message 21 of 30
Aspirant

As others have said, a date commitment would be pleasantly positive.

The concerns here are real and a real response would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance...

Message 22 of 30
Initiate

I think I now understand the delay. Reading other stuff online, it appears they can encrypt the video to prevent us accessing it directly on flash, but HTML5 support needs more work (and money) before they can stop us getting access to our own video streams.

And there goes their subscription model for CVR and more.

So, don't expect this for a long time.
Message 23 of 30

Their insistence on using Flash is just one of a few problems that we, as customers, can observe--what else lurks beneath within their infrastructure?  Will it take a cyber "event" for them to be shamed into fixing the underlying issues? 

If Arlo focused on infrastructure more than they did on new hardware (4k, doorbells, lights, whatever) and services ("smartness"), then I'd be willing to purchase those products when they did come out.  The fact is, they're catering to people who don't know that they should be asking for stronger authentication (2FA please) and for use of technology that isn't outdated (Flash is dead).  And while we're at it, transport and at-rest encryption better use modern algorithms.  The marathon race to push out new products while ignoring security says something to me about Arlo as a company!

Most consumers aren't security conscious and they don't care to be.  The onus is on us (the ones that know better) to make sure that companies do it right--but it shouldn't be this way.  I shouldn't have to submit ideas to their "Idea  Exchange" ... I'm not an Arlo employee, and if I was, Flash would have been obliterated a long time ago.  And 2FA would have been implemented years ago.  Security is difficult ... but I'll bet that fixing a reputation is more difficult.

Message 24 of 30
Aspirant

They are using flowplayer 3.2.13 for the camera view, but HTML5 in other places. In fact, Flowplayer now supports non-flash video, but they just haven't updated, which is just lazy.

Message 25 of 30