Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

camera starts recording on and only stops when Motion stops

First of all, Arlo is great in theory. A wireless camera that is accessible from anywhere in the world with an internet connection? Wonderful!

But in reality, it's a system that is more gadget gimmick, than a useful, usable security option.

However, if you could make this one change in the system, I'll deal with the usability issues on the app; I'll deal with the limitations of the camera settings; the lag in response to motion; etc., etc... If you could just make it so that the camera starts recording on motion and doesn't stop until the motion stops (with a user setting for max mins), then I'd finally be satisfied.

Otherwise, here's how it works now, and an example of what I actually get: A UPS truck pulls up, and Arlo kicks in (late) and starts recording after the truck is already parked (very annoying), but then I get 30 seconds (my setting is 30 secs) of the truck sitting there as the driver gets the package from the back. Then Arlo shuts down, the driver gets out with my package and walks up my driveway (about a 20 second walk) at which point Arlo is starting up again for another 30 second clip. Arlo starts up again and then records 30 seconds of the driver already walking away after dropping the package at my front door.

If this were an intruder or someone "casing the joint" I'd never get an image of his face. Is that a real security system?? Now, if I could set Arlo to stay on and record until the motion stops or my setting (I would choose 5 minutes) I would get all the footage I need. Battery life wouldn't matter to me because 1) if the motion stopped at 15 seconds, the recording would stop or; 2) if I could capture real "show-to-the-cops-footage" I wouldn't care if I had to replace the batteries more frequently.

That said:

PLEASE CHANGE ARLO TO STOP RECORDING ONLY AFTER THE MOTION HAS STOPPED OR BASED ON OUR USER PREFERENCE!!! Thanks!

Anyone agree or experiencing the same? Please chime in and hopefully the folks at Arlo make it happen!

Comments
BossGrady
Aspirant
This needs to be addressed right away. Thinking about returning them because of the lack of this required feature
rlprecourt
Fledgling
I completely agree! This is one of the biggest flaws with this system. If they would fix this it would be great. However, I suspect that it may be a limItalian of the cameras themselves as I think they initially record the footage internally and the upload it to the base unit when done (thus the annoying lag before next motion recording can start.) I guess the caneras would have to be capable of storing longer video. At any rate, would be great if this could be implemented.
brian82
Tutor

Another vote in favor of "Continue Recording until motion is gone".  I would accept lower framerate as a tradeoff.

thanks

twf999
Follower
record time limited is the biggest drawback,otherwise it's a great product.
I think they want separate market with ArloQ (if I remember right ). 10 minutes record is much reasonable.
Aspirant
Even if it would record 3 minutes it stops when the action starts
JC14881503
Novice
Agreed! This is a must have option in my opinion. There is absolutely 0 chance of me upgrading my subscription/investing any more $ in more camera's (buying the Arlo Q camera's) or recommending Arlo to anyone else until this is fixed. The entire usefulness of these cameras as a security system is completely negated without making this possible.
ReconyxSC950
Apprentice

I have 7 Arlo wireless units on my home for close range monitoring. I also utilize Reconyx SC950 security still image cameras as an outer perimeter circle of security. The Arlo cams have a narrow or small PIR eyesight regardless if you mount them intercepting a crossing pattern. The low glow red IRB's are just enough to create a flashlight circle of illumination at night. If you have added exterior lighting they see better but don't detect any better of course. The lag time from camera to the "cloud" really depends on your internet hardware to a degree. I use a ASUS RT AC3100 router coupled with fiber optic internet. The Arlo's are placed all around my home and I have a 2 story home that is brick and the roof line at the highest point is 40'. The router is placed at one end of the house with ample windows and doors to allow the 4 antennas to send the signal out. I have 2 cams that only have 1 bar of signal because of this router location. These low signal cams still perform well.

The rest period between each video clip taken I never saw stats on. I still don't know if it's until the video time recorded is sent to the cloud and then wakes back up or not. I do know the colder outside it is the better any cameras PIR will detect hotter objects. Relating to the posts of the Arlo's videoing until the movement stops is going to be a tricky fix. In the game / security camera world being the Reconyx I own, the video starts when triggered and stops when you set the desired amount of record time in the settings.

The "stop recording" when the movement stops technology isn't there yet but, the Reconyx SC950's I have out perform the arlo's hands down. One of these cameras cost more than I paid for the 4 camera Arlo pkg I purchased. This is why I have them as an outer circle perimeter that have No Glow IRB technology which means humans do not see the illumination from the cameras at night. I don't have false triggers and is 1080 color by day and black n white monochrome at night with various sensitivity settings and illumination and shutter speeds.

One of my complaints about the Arlo wireless is, setting the rules for them. I have all of the Arlos tasked with triggering others to record if it's walked past. The pisser is, the one that senses the movement doesn't take a video even though it's a rule. It makes the other 2 in the rule start recording but, it sits idle. Strange???

These are neat little camera setups for some type of security but once I build up the funds a bit more I'm going to invest in 1080p constant recording cameras and a DVR that records for months at a time hardwired in. I'll put the Arlos inside then and that will be that.

If anyone has any ideas about why the rule I mentioned happens, please let me know.

Thanks so much, ReconyxSC950. 

brian82
Tutor

In the "RULES" you are using, you pick the camera that is the "trigger", and then you pick the camera that is to do the "recording".  So click on MODE, then in my case i created a "Day" and a "Night" mode, so I click on "Day".  Inside "Day" i have just 2 rules for my 2 cameras.  click on the pencil for one of your rules.  Inside a rule your choices are "If the following" and then "Then do the following".  So create another rule that has the "IF" for camera 1, and has the "THEN" for camera 1.  Then the triggered camera will also record.

ReconyxSC950
Apprentice

So, this is what I did to resolve the issue and a "BIG" thank you to the replies that said "make it the 3rd step of the 3 using the same camera.

When I did this the Arlo program defaulted it to #2 of the 3 operations. Then it recorded after the first 2 started so, there was a bit of lag BUT, the triggering camera is also recording now.

I did have another reply that said to do something different but, my interface from Arlo didn't allow me to select that way described. I'm not sure if the systems are different or what. I do want to also thank that responder as well.

SO, if you have the wireless Arlo / basestation setup (2016) put your triggering camera in the last step in the set of rules and the triggering camera will record when the others do.

Thanks so much to all who answered! Smiley Happy

brian82
Tutor

Glad it worked for you.  It really is pretty powerful.

I think my only complaint is that the trigger delay takes too long sometimes.

Else, it is about the best system i have ever tried.