Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

camera starts recording on and only stops when Motion stops

First of all, Arlo is great in theory. A wireless camera that is accessible from anywhere in the world with an internet connection? Wonderful!

But in reality, it's a system that is more gadget gimmick, than a useful, usable security option.

However, if you could make this one change in the system, I'll deal with the usability issues on the app; I'll deal with the limitations of the camera settings; the lag in response to motion; etc., etc... If you could just make it so that the camera starts recording on motion and doesn't stop until the motion stops (with a user setting for max mins), then I'd finally be satisfied.

Otherwise, here's how it works now, and an example of what I actually get: A UPS truck pulls up, and Arlo kicks in (late) and starts recording after the truck is already parked (very annoying), but then I get 30 seconds (my setting is 30 secs) of the truck sitting there as the driver gets the package from the back. Then Arlo shuts down, the driver gets out with my package and walks up my driveway (about a 20 second walk) at which point Arlo is starting up again for another 30 second clip. Arlo starts up again and then records 30 seconds of the driver already walking away after dropping the package at my front door.

If this were an intruder or someone "casing the joint" I'd never get an image of his face. Is that a real security system?? Now, if I could set Arlo to stay on and record until the motion stops or my setting (I would choose 5 minutes) I would get all the footage I need. Battery life wouldn't matter to me because 1) if the motion stopped at 15 seconds, the recording would stop or; 2) if I could capture real "show-to-the-cops-footage" I wouldn't care if I had to replace the batteries more frequently.

That said:

PLEASE CHANGE ARLO TO STOP RECORDING ONLY AFTER THE MOTION HAS STOPPED OR BASED ON OUR USER PREFERENCE!!! Thanks!

Anyone agree or experiencing the same? Please chime in and hopefully the folks at Arlo make it happen!

Comments
GaryInEdmond
Guide

I agree with these sentiments.  Right now Arlo is the only truly wireless camera in town but if it weren't, this would be the feature that could make or break your sales.

JMonsorno
Novice

I just got my system last week and set it up before I left for a weekend away. I had the default 10 seconds and noticed it would occasionally give me 11-13 seconds of video so I was guessing it was 10 seconds after no motion, I increased to 45 seconds and found my dog sitter literally doing kettlebell swings infront of the camera, sensitivity to 100, and after 45 seconds the video just stops recording, it didn't pick back up for minutes! Searching for solutions I came across this forum and want to add my vote, all security systems I've had before had time after last motion, I was looking forward to the cloud based since internet setup was a pain with my last setup at my previous place. This system looks more like a cool novelity than a security system in my opinion.

SAP_Pete
Initiate
Is anybody from Netgear / Arlo ever responding to these requests ?
ScottF
Guide

This makes me wonder how many Kudos an idea needs before the developers at Netgear will listen. This has 85 kudos. Tons more than any other idea besides the IFTTT suggestions (which there are many). What is the problem Netgear? Why have this forum if you aren't going to act on any of the ideas?

slimline
Onlooker

I recently installed 4 cameras in our apartments underground garage for security against constantly scratched vehicles.
Saturday evening suspected culprit was eventually captured on video maliciously scratching 3 vehicles.
Great work "Arlo" however obvious points against the system appeared.
Since installation many vehicles have been scratched and the events not recorded (movement sensor is set to 100%).
Our garage has many movements in 24hrs so to set the cameras for long recording times after initial movement detection means the batteries have a very short duration plus it takes a long period of time to review the videos X 4 cameras.
I suggest the timing cycle be revised to allow recording to continue from when motion is first detected until it ceases and then allow a variable time setting for the camera to continue recording after movement sensing has ceased. This would allow maximum battery duration (in most cases) plus not missing important video.
Also the videos downloaded from computers need to have date/time embedded (as with downloaded videos from "Arlo" cloud) as this is critical for police evidence. The suggestion to use Epoch Time converter is unacceptable.
Great product but needs a little TLC.

Cheers,
Colin

WhiteCubes
Novice

+1

slimline
Onlooker

Apart from the camera recording times another glaring problem as no option to purchase alternative colours.

The brilliant white may be OK in a childs' nursery but not exactly optimal for use as a security camera.

I needed to wrap each camera in grey insulation tape so they didn't stand out like neon signs at a circus.

mcbriggs
Aspirant

The lag *HAS* to improve.  It's unacceptable.

Nilzohn
Fledgling

I'm pretty impressed by Arlo's capabilities, but this is such a major drawback that I'll probably return it to the dealer if it isn't added soon. I'm astounded this option is lacking!

A few lines of code and it's done - why keep us waiting? Netgear? We're waiting for your response!

Oh, and enable local USB storage option while you're at it 🙂

Nilzohn
Fledgling

Agreed - this is such a mayor drawback. I'm astounded this feature isn't available yet. Please fix ASAP!