Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

camera starts recording on and only stops when Motion stops

First of all, Arlo is great in theory. A wireless camera that is accessible from anywhere in the world with an internet connection? Wonderful!

But in reality, it's a system that is more gadget gimmick, than a useful, usable security option.

However, if you could make this one change in the system, I'll deal with the usability issues on the app; I'll deal with the limitations of the camera settings; the lag in response to motion; etc., etc... If you could just make it so that the camera starts recording on motion and doesn't stop until the motion stops (with a user setting for max mins), then I'd finally be satisfied.

Otherwise, here's how it works now, and an example of what I actually get: A UPS truck pulls up, and Arlo kicks in (late) and starts recording after the truck is already parked (very annoying), but then I get 30 seconds (my setting is 30 secs) of the truck sitting there as the driver gets the package from the back. Then Arlo shuts down, the driver gets out with my package and walks up my driveway (about a 20 second walk) at which point Arlo is starting up again for another 30 second clip. Arlo starts up again and then records 30 seconds of the driver already walking away after dropping the package at my front door.

If this were an intruder or someone "casing the joint" I'd never get an image of his face. Is that a real security system?? Now, if I could set Arlo to stay on and record until the motion stops or my setting (I would choose 5 minutes) I would get all the footage I need. Battery life wouldn't matter to me because 1) if the motion stopped at 15 seconds, the recording would stop or; 2) if I could capture real "show-to-the-cops-footage" I wouldn't care if I had to replace the batteries more frequently.

That said:

PLEASE CHANGE ARLO TO STOP RECORDING ONLY AFTER THE MOTION HAS STOPPED OR BASED ON OUR USER PREFERENCE!!! Thanks!

Anyone agree or experiencing the same? Please chime in and hopefully the folks at Arlo make it happen!

Comments
projectrs2
Fledgling

Really unhappy with Netgear - they've deleted my original post complaining about the product and hiding the truth

It's really inadequate product to say the least - most monitoring requires longer than 120 sec clip

It should record as long as there is motion, ALWAYS

JamesC
Community Manager

projectrs2,

This feature is currently available for Arlo Q/Q+. I do not currently have any information at this time on when/if it will be available for for other Arlo cameras in the future.

JamesC

T9001
Star
Thanks James, but that isn't good enough. The original arlo cameras are perfectly capable of this, it's just a bit of programming that's needed. The question is whether the first customers will be respected enough to be given this basic, necessary feature, or whether we will be forced to upgrade our hardware. I for one will choose another system if Netgear chooses to show no loyalty to us.
NowakerTmp
Star

> Status: Implemented

This is NOT implemented. Advertising this as implemented is very deceptive.

Just today I realized my security system is just a toy too.

timot
Fledgling

As others have stated, it shouldn't be difficult to implement. I'm sure it was a business decision because allowing the cameras to continue to record based on motion would obviously affect battery life. But just add a disclaimer and let the users decide. I have 4 cameras and am looking to replace them because of this. 

NowakerTmp
Star

Wondering if y'all knew the moment live preview is started, any ongoing recording triggered by motion or sound is stopped. You have to manually hit record button again but you'll still lose seconds of footage. Oh, and unlike motion/sound-activated clips, manually recorded ones don't go to local USB storage. I'll be thankful for a +1 kudos in both ideas.

jitesh_88
Fledgling

i had motion detection enabled. when i was running some initial tests i realized the camera stopped after 10s which was the default value for recording. i thought i missed some setting to enable recording based on dynamic motion detection until i came across this post. seems really silly from a design perspective to have motion detection only as a start trigger for the recording.

They seem to be aware of the issue as its been noted in the June Release Notes for Arlo Q

"*Note: Activity Stop Recording for Arlo Wire-Free camera is being worked on, no ETA can be provided at this time."

i wonder why is it taking them so long (9 months) to develop this fix. they should release some updates on the ETA. I suggest we should all put our reviews and feedback on big brand websites like Amazon, Best Buy etc so future buyers can make a sound decision before spending money on this. Hopefully more negative feedback on reviews will get NetGear's attention.

wyattb
Aspirant

The best way to show your dissatisfaction with this issue, is return the cameras like I did. 

Gerry54
Fledgling

Now that solar charging will be implemented, it would be nice if CVR is offered as a recording option.

bmercer
Onlooker

I wanted to chime it here...

I was hoping to see this feature on a security camera, as I've caught some missdeeds already on mine, but have missed others that I know happened but due to recording limitations were NOT caught.

I'm very much considering a replacement set up if this can't be implemented on the Arlo Pro.

What do I have security cameras for if they don't catch what needs to be caught?

The idea of cameras is to put people/things at places, to catch actions... NOT speculate as to who and what

with no solid evidence like I was previous to having cameras.

I can't sing the praises of a product that isn't delivering, and I surely will broadcast to the curious or those I interact with concerning the subject of home security that this isn't what they're thinking it is or need.

This and the lag time combined make it insane to be spending $650.00 plus for four cameras when there are cheaper systems sitting right next to it on the shelf at best buy that do a better job. 

I paid a premium for what was supposed to be a superior product.

Change it and I'll be happy to endorse it whenever possible.

Change it soon enough, and I'll keep the system.