Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

camera starts recording on and only stops when Motion stops

First of all, Arlo is great in theory. A wireless camera that is accessible from anywhere in the world with an internet connection? Wonderful!

But in reality, it's a system that is more gadget gimmick, than a useful, usable security option.

However, if you could make this one change in the system, I'll deal with the usability issues on the app; I'll deal with the limitations of the camera settings; the lag in response to motion; etc., etc... If you could just make it so that the camera starts recording on motion and doesn't stop until the motion stops (with a user setting for max mins), then I'd finally be satisfied.

Otherwise, here's how it works now, and an example of what I actually get: A UPS truck pulls up, and Arlo kicks in (late) and starts recording after the truck is already parked (very annoying), but then I get 30 seconds (my setting is 30 secs) of the truck sitting there as the driver gets the package from the back. Then Arlo shuts down, the driver gets out with my package and walks up my driveway (about a 20 second walk) at which point Arlo is starting up again for another 30 second clip. Arlo starts up again and then records 30 seconds of the driver already walking away after dropping the package at my front door.

If this were an intruder or someone "casing the joint" I'd never get an image of his face. Is that a real security system?? Now, if I could set Arlo to stay on and record until the motion stops or my setting (I would choose 5 minutes) I would get all the footage I need. Battery life wouldn't matter to me because 1) if the motion stopped at 15 seconds, the recording would stop or; 2) if I could capture real "show-to-the-cops-footage" I wouldn't care if I had to replace the batteries more frequently.

That said:

PLEASE CHANGE ARLO TO STOP RECORDING ONLY AFTER THE MOTION HAS STOPPED OR BASED ON OUR USER PREFERENCE!!! Thanks!

Anyone agree or experiencing the same? Please chime in and hopefully the folks at Arlo make it happen!

Comments
T9001
Star

Good idea. We need this.

nate104
Novice

Totally agree i just purchased my system and the one thing i noticed is that once it trips it records then stops then records again i alos agree that it should keep recording till the motion stops

I was just chatting with support and they said this is not a feature and that they do not know of any future plans to fix it 😞 BUT they did tell me to post in the community because their developers are constantly pulling their updates from the community, so here I am. I totally agree and really hope to see this fixed very soon. We have a Vimtag but it is not wireless or outdoor rated, but it DOES record ten seconds before the motion begins, as well as the entirety of the motion. I feel like if other security cameras and even motion sensor lights can incorporate this functionality then a product by Netgear should be able to as well. Please please please fix this Arlo, I want to keep you but I need you to function like an actual security camera!!

StargazerOne
Tutor

I think having it continue recording while there is motion would be a great option. I don't think battery consumption would be impacted too much because, while the camera would record more with more motion, there will be those times the camera will record LESS than some arbitrary time I set to try to capture unpredictable events. 

As as it is right now, I have a default time which kind of works based upon my own coming and going. However, when a stranger approaches my door, they don't follow my pattern and the video recording ultimately cuts off when I'm most interested in seeing what they are doing. The camera doesn't do the complete job it should be doing. I don't want to increase my default recording times. I just want the camera to record longer during special events of continual motion.

Even if if there was a cost of battery life, giving users an option to turn on this feature would allow people to choose. For me, I'm willing to spend more battery life to get a full video of what's happening instead of just a partial one.

macphreak
Onlooker
Seriously - just get the nest cameras. They are the best and I am so happy we went with them after our experience with arlo. I think arlo will eventually get there. but, right now, it is just not there yet.
NotThatGood
Aspirant

This is why I most likely will return my cameras and base as they don't work as promised and expected. In my opinion this function is the main reason to have a camera system. Netgear Arlo for sure fails on this and I have told many friends about the "failure". Most likely Netgear will loose me as a customer as I don't see an upcomming fix to it and no official positive comment from Netgear. $500 for a non-working camera system... pointless.

Alael
Novice

+1

dp2
Onlooker
Onlooker

I heard through the grapevine that IFTTT support will be coming within the next month.  They previously said December so let's see if it really holds true this time.  Like others have said, if I don't see IFTTT support soon, I will probably abandon Arlos for a more traditional camera system.

LovelyNot
Apprentice

Future consideration? Future? Why wait? Should have been in there from the start!

What idiot decided to limit recording time anyway? And indeed, why not give the user more OPTIONS? You can always default to the idiot decisions you apparently went with. Nobody has ever died because of Advanced CONFIG!

jazzfog
Guide

I just got my Arlo Q and noticed the same issue, it needs to be done.