Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

camera starts recording on and only stops when Motion stops

First of all, Arlo is great in theory. A wireless camera that is accessible from anywhere in the world with an internet connection? Wonderful!

But in reality, it's a system that is more gadget gimmick, than a useful, usable security option.

However, if you could make this one change in the system, I'll deal with the usability issues on the app; I'll deal with the limitations of the camera settings; the lag in response to motion; etc., etc... If you could just make it so that the camera starts recording on motion and doesn't stop until the motion stops (with a user setting for max mins), then I'd finally be satisfied.

Otherwise, here's how it works now, and an example of what I actually get: A UPS truck pulls up, and Arlo kicks in (late) and starts recording after the truck is already parked (very annoying), but then I get 30 seconds (my setting is 30 secs) of the truck sitting there as the driver gets the package from the back. Then Arlo shuts down, the driver gets out with my package and walks up my driveway (about a 20 second walk) at which point Arlo is starting up again for another 30 second clip. Arlo starts up again and then records 30 seconds of the driver already walking away after dropping the package at my front door.

If this were an intruder or someone "casing the joint" I'd never get an image of his face. Is that a real security system?? Now, if I could set Arlo to stay on and record until the motion stops or my setting (I would choose 5 minutes) I would get all the footage I need. Battery life wouldn't matter to me because 1) if the motion stopped at 15 seconds, the recording would stop or; 2) if I could capture real "show-to-the-cops-footage" I wouldn't care if I had to replace the batteries more frequently.

That said:

PLEASE CHANGE ARLO TO STOP RECORDING ONLY AFTER THE MOTION HAS STOPPED OR BASED ON OUR USER PREFERENCE!!! Thanks!

Anyone agree or experiencing the same? Please chime in and hopefully the folks at Arlo make it happen!

Comments
Gator0515
Fledgling
Terrible flaw I bought this and a canary and nest to test which I would end up using and which I would give as gifts to my parents... the arlo is the only one that gives these ridiculous short clips when there is motion. I'm giving it away it's useless as a security camera... if there's motion I want it to record and when the motion stops , it to stop. I don't care about battery life I'd buy more. I care about it recording short 2 min blocks. I use this to monitor my dogs when I'm away and the dog sitter as well as my kids in addition to home security use. The lack of audio I was willing to overlook but the lack of recording the actual event makes this worthless to me!
Gator0515
Fledgling
For what it's worth the canary and nest system perform recordings in an expected manner. The canary would be my preference based upon my 2 weeks with them all... it's ability to sent u alerts are the closest to real time on the same Internet wifi source...
Txcatnap
Fledgling

As a recent purchaser of this product I agree. We might return this and get something else. The lag is too long before it starts recording and it stops recording before the motion stops.

JamesC
Community Manager

Txcatnap,

Given the many variables for each environment it can take some trial and error to find the perfect conditions for your Arlo system. Take a look at this article that outlines tips for the best motion detection performance: Optimizing motion detection performance on Arlo Wire-Free cameras

I hope this helps!

JamesC

Madtim
Initiate

Totally agree with posts in this thread. I assumed continuous recording until motion stopped, otherwise what's the point? 

Madtim
Initiate

The camera needs an option to continue to record while motion is happening. I don't want it to stop recording while there's something happening within range. Also there should be an option to stop recording after a period of inactivity. 

danielcosta
Novice

I agree with everyone, surprised that there is no input from Arlo on this regard. Does not seem to be a complex feature to add...

CzarDM
Initiate

Same issue. Contacted Customer Support to see if techs are aware and working on a solution to address motion to recording lag. I basically get non useable footage for security purposes. I was met with the same answer as JamesC provided above. No acknowledgment of product flaw nor a pledge to look in to it. Basically just the standard "adjust you motion settings" answer. Will be returning product

imagio
Novice
Looks like it has been 11 months since this issue was brought up and not a peep from Netgear. I really wanted to like these things but now I might have to return them. Given the length of time since this was brought up I can only conclude that Netgear is not listening and will never implement this basic feature.

they dont care...they got our money...mine are useless...i cant use them for anything of any value and i have had them way too long to return them to the store...

i got screwed.