Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

camera starts recording on and only stops when Motion stops

First of all, Arlo is great in theory. A wireless camera that is accessible from anywhere in the world with an internet connection? Wonderful!

But in reality, it's a system that is more gadget gimmick, than a useful, usable security option.

However, if you could make this one change in the system, I'll deal with the usability issues on the app; I'll deal with the limitations of the camera settings; the lag in response to motion; etc., etc... If you could just make it so that the camera starts recording on motion and doesn't stop until the motion stops (with a user setting for max mins), then I'd finally be satisfied.

Otherwise, here's how it works now, and an example of what I actually get: A UPS truck pulls up, and Arlo kicks in (late) and starts recording after the truck is already parked (very annoying), but then I get 30 seconds (my setting is 30 secs) of the truck sitting there as the driver gets the package from the back. Then Arlo shuts down, the driver gets out with my package and walks up my driveway (about a 20 second walk) at which point Arlo is starting up again for another 30 second clip. Arlo starts up again and then records 30 seconds of the driver already walking away after dropping the package at my front door.

If this were an intruder or someone "casing the joint" I'd never get an image of his face. Is that a real security system?? Now, if I could set Arlo to stay on and record until the motion stops or my setting (I would choose 5 minutes) I would get all the footage I need. Battery life wouldn't matter to me because 1) if the motion stopped at 15 seconds, the recording would stop or; 2) if I could capture real "show-to-the-cops-footage" I wouldn't care if I had to replace the batteries more frequently.

That said:

PLEASE CHANGE ARLO TO STOP RECORDING ONLY AFTER THE MOTION HAS STOPPED OR BASED ON OUR USER PREFERENCE!!! Thanks!

Anyone agree or experiencing the same? Please chime in and hopefully the folks at Arlo make it happen!

Comments
yadbop
Star

Hey Madtim,

Thanks for submitting this idea. I agree with this idea and was definitely looking into something similar. This could be a viable solution to have ARLO capture motion without missing some crucial parts. 

Can a software or firmware upgrade be implmented so that:

While Arlo camera is recording, it is still detecting motion and at the end of the set recording time, if there is still motion it continues to record.

For example:

Default set to 10 seconds record. If for some reason there is still movement at the end of 10 seconds, it continues to record rather than end and start up again. This way you get a seemlessly recording of possible important movement/actions happening.

Issue/Idea was also discussed here in detail:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Wire-Free-camera/Arlo-motion-detect-while-recording-and-contin...

Thanks Arlo team for your time and help!

JamesC
Community Manager
Status changed to: New Ideas

JamesC
Community Manager
Status changed to: Future Consideration

ScottF
Guide

Ha... Future Consideration.... It will be another 11 months then they will change it to whatever comes next in their Never-Going-To-Do list...

Gator0515
Fledgling
It's about battery life now that I've used the unit a while. I up'd it to record at two min blocks and the battery was used up in 2 weeks time. The camera was used to watch the dog sitter and would record roughly 6-10 minutes a day for 10 days and that was it for the battery.
I know how you feel. It's pretty pathetic. They don't say **bleep**. Just change the name of the post. I don't trust this company. And will NEVER buy another netgear product in my life. EVER
zebra500
Aspirant

I too am waiting for the answer on this HOWEVER, I did my research before I BOUGHT the cameras (all 8 of them) and knew what I was getting into.  They're inexpensive, convenient and WIRELESS!  THERE'S GOING TO BE A DELAY! If you don't like them, don't buy them -- spend your money on the wired ones -- I'm sure you'll find some fault in them too. Stop talking crap about the company and move on.  Easy resolution. C'mon people. GET OVER IT!

Inexpensive. Must be nice to have that much money to spend on a product that doesn't match up to the competition. The hope was there that they would be better products because of the company behind them. We were wrong and unable to return them. They need software development not hardware development. They have been too worried about making a new camera "Q" than making the product they got our money for to work better and be more relevant. No one is a better sales person than a happy customer. I spent $500 on these cameras and they are pretty much useless. Recording lag, time frame per recording, IFTTT support the list goes on to what could make these cameras great. It's sweet that you had the money to spend and you are getting what you want out of the cameras. But we are not happy and have every right to voice that opinion in the free country we live in. Thank you.
zebra500
Aspirant

It's not about money -- or is it? But let's talk about that.  What I spend my hard earned money on may differ from others -- I don't judge. Yes, you have every right to your opinion...and so do I.  My point must have been missed so let me try to clarify. This is an issue, we all agree, but it's not going to get resolved -- it's like beating a dead horse! Let's move on!

Another point, I'm sure the issue was immediately apparent after purchase -- it was for me. So why didn't folks return them for a full refund within the allotted time frame rather than wait and complain about it later? I can only speak for myself and will say I highly considered returning them, even after my thorough research, but the benefits outweighed the faults. We all have to take some ownership for our decisions. Sounds to me like everyone is just jumping on the band-wagon here to complain to offset kicking themselves for not returning them timely. 

T9001
Star

Yes. THis is a good idea. It seems so obvious that a motion sensing system should perform it's function until the motion stops.