Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Viewing local storage as default

When I view my library, the cloud comes up as default even if there is no subscription.  Can the default be changed from cloud to local when viewing recordings?  If not, can this feature be added?

Comments
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Thanks for posting your idea! Our development team routinely reviews posts in the Arlo Idea Exchange to assess which features the community would like to see implemented. We greatly appreciate your contribution and will keep the status of this idea updated as we get new information on its potential implementation. 

shakeit
Fledgling

I have the VMB 4540. I am using USB memory and was successfully able to set up Direct Storage Access.  To see recordings in the library I need to switch from Cloud to my VMB base station. My suggestion is to allow default thing to whatever the user prefers. 

CameraOne
Novice

If Arlo is set up to record locally, recording thumbnails under the Library becomes a greyed out and unusable to see which recording to review. The user has to:

1. click into each and every grey thumbnail
  2. click to initiate a download
  3. wait for it to finish downloading
  4. then click back out to the list view for the thumbnail to populate from the recording
  5. repeat until you find the right recording

THE ASK: Can the Library thumbnails for locally stored recordings be changed to function the same way as it does for Cloud? 

'And if it can't, can the Arlo team deliver an alternative solution that gives users context?

Library-Thumbnails.jpg

Bose_100
Onlooker

Arlo dev team

these are minor changes and can be easily accommodated in your patch releases, common sense is missing in most of the cases

Harold_Bien
Aspirant

A simple check if subscription is active then set initial library default to cloud, else local storage seems very reasonable and easy to implement. What are the downsides? 

As for the second request regarding thumbnails, since the base isn't in constant communication with your phone I think it would be very difficult to replicate cloud behavior with thumbnails. That said, it wouldn't be a huge undertaking (but more then the above simple if then statement above) to add a button to get thumbnails for say the entire day from the local storage. This would require the software to also store the thumbnails and that would take extra space on the phone.

GB011
Novice

Hey Jessica,

I too would like both the proposals mentioned in this thread. Can you share an update on when we may see them? I'd hate to think Arlo Team were deliberately dumbing down the non-subscriber experience simply to force us to subscribe. After all we have all already spent hundreds of dollars buying Arlo security cameras. 

Yours in hope,

Glenn

Harold_Bien
Aspirant

Hey Glenn,

Unfortunately see my other post about how Arlo doesn't need to download a local video to play as exposed by a bug shows that Arlo is in fact "dumbing down" to get you to purchase a subscription plan. Worse is the resolution of the local recording is also restricted to 2k unless you get their most expensive plans.

shierei
Novice

Two very simple requests from this thread.

1. Allow to set viewing local storage as default.

2. Give thumbnail picture on a recording from local storage.

These two requests should be very simple to implement and will be very useful for customers without subscription. Arlo apparently refused to help customers with this hoping to force the customers to pay for the subscription. Please add these two features. I did not expect to have to pay for subscriptions when I paid for these expensive cameras and base station.

Bose_100
Onlooker

How long does it take to implement some basic features ??? Need FREE IT Support ? 

Or just waiting for every one to purchase the subscription ?