Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Update Snapshots at regular intervals

I've seen suggestions for an "emergency record" mode, where one click would begin recording all cams.  I have suggestions for a couple things:

1. Allow for an updated snapshot at regular intervals, not just at the last motion detected.  For example, even if no motion has been detected for days, updating the snapshots displayed in the Arlo dashboard every hour, two hours, or whatever would be great.  I wouldnt have to click "LIVE" and then "PAUSE" on each camera separately just to get an idea of how things are looking currently.
  2. A button to make all cameras live simultaneously as well as a "pause all" would be great also.  Or, related to above, just a button to refresh snapshots on demand.
Comments
Erik508
Onlooker

Thanks for taking the time to do a nice write up on this feature request. I came in to ask the very same thing.  It would be a huge time saver, and it really helps you feel connected to your home if you can see the latest snapshots.

cruicky
Guide
All the above suggestions are spot-on.
Is it just me or has anybody else noticed the motion detection email actually says that I have not set any video or snapshot to happen.
Yes. Snapshot.
But its not currently an option.
AC
cruicky
Guide
Exactly.
Stealth505
Novice

I would like to be able to connect the arlo q to the base station. That way I wouldn't have to have the base station and my wifi running all the time.

KhaosT
Fledgling

Please consider adding the ability to have Arlo periodically update the snapshots in the app automatically. Currently user have to manually start the stream and then stop the stream to force the snapshot to refresh.

As you can see in the screenshot, the arlo app is currently showing me snapshot from 3 days ago which is really annoying.

FullSizeRender.jpg

It does look like the Arlo API has the ability to request full snapshot from camera without starting the stream so ideally the team should build the auto refresher on the server side so both website and app users can always see latest (relatively) snapshot from the camera. I understand there are battery concern but I'd really love to at least have an option to do this since I'm fine with shorter the battery life for a better experience.

Thanks 👍

PearMoon
Novice

All my thumbnails show exactly the same thing: the unoccupied area. The videos seems to save from about two seconds before there is any motion. The thumbnail displays from the start of the video. If the thumbnail displayed from two seconds into the video then I could get a sense of what is in each video. 

Thanks. 

RedCab
Guide

Arlo Pro is motion sensitive so first frame of video includes first motion.

The thumbnail used in the library appears to be 3 seconds into the video.

In many cases (cars) the object in motion is already out of frame by the time the thumbnail is picked so most thumbnails don't contain any identifying objects.

Idea: make the thumbnail selection a setting like x seconds into the video. (Or just make it 1 sec so we can see the motion that tripped the motion sensor).

Thank you for consideration.

JamesC
Community Manager

The Arlo development team routinely reviews posts in the Arlo Idea Exchange to assess which features the community would like to see implemented. We greatly appreciate the communities contribution and will keep the status of this idea updated as we get new information on it's potential implementation. Thank you for posting your idea!

Thank you,

JamesC

Notrab
Apprentice
Even if they opened up the possibility with IFTTT would be cool.
NowakerTmp
Star

For Arlo Team consideration, here's a scenario why a periodic update of snapshots is important. If my motion or audio detection sensitivity isn't perfectly adjusted, some important events might not be recorded and no alert will ever show up. If snapshots are updated periodically (e.g. 5 minutes, 30 minutes, 1 hour, 2 hours, 6 hours), I'm able to visually inspect if everything's okay by simply starting the app. No need to go through each camera and enable live stream.