Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Turn cameras on/off with Alexa

I've seen this request already, but wanted to recommend that it be added to the set of Alexa skills.  Being able to turn the cameras on and off thru a command to Alexa (not simply the Echo show, but all Echo devices) would be great.  I would like the option to say "Alexa turn off FrontDoor Camera" or "Alexa turn off ArloCameras (group name)".  I've seen some request to add a password to the command, which could be OK too, but not a priority for me. Thanks for a great product, please keep improving! 

Comments
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hey @PapperHawk,

That sounds like an idea! I'm moving your post to the Idea Exchange Board where the development team routinely reviews posts in the Arlo Idea Exchange to assess which features the community would like to see implemented. We greatly appreciate your contribution and will keep the status of this idea updated as we get new information on its potential implementation. Thanks for posting your idea and the support!

brettwgreen
Aspirant

This feature would be very useful if I'm going outside, for example, to do yard work.

The difficulty would be in securing from somebody on the front porch yelling 'Alexa, turn off the front camera!' while outside its viewing area.

SL77
Novice

I would like my rear camera to turn on when I say "Alex, good night". So far all my lights turn off and I want to add the camera, but it says unsupported in the app? Will this happen in the future? I keep forgetting to turn the rear camera on when I let the dogs in for the night. Thanks

In searching for an option to be able to turn my cameras on & off using Alexa I found the comments above. It looks like this has been a customer wish list item for a couple of years now. Is there a solution by chance? I have my home setup on routines depending on what I am doing and like the others have posted, it would be great to be able to turn off cameras when outside using Alexa not too mention that I also continually forget to turn my cameras back on at night when going to bed. Thanks. 

scottyc27
Novice

First off, I love these cameras. But I'd really love it if I could do more with the smart assistants (I mainly use Alexa). I have a Homeseer smart automation system as well and Alexa integrates with that fantastically. If Arlo users could do more with settings/features using Alexa it would make things much more convenient.

Example Situation: when playing with the kids or BBQing in the backyard, I don't want constant notifications (or recordings for that matter)... Solution: integrate disabling/enabling camera through Alexa. "Alexa, turn off back yard camera." "Alexa, turn on back yard camera." "Alexa, disable back yard camera for 30 minutes."

I know ya'll can do it! Please!! I already talked a friend of mine into getting an Arlo system if that helps! 😄