Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Trigger to start recording on multiple cameras

I have 5 Arlo cameras. Some point down busy alley I would like the option to set up motion sensor trigger on 1 camera that will kick off recording on all cameras for set time amount. I have several outside cameras pointing at busy alley. If gargage or front door camera detects motion I want to know all activity going on at same time from other cameras.

Does this feature already exist?

Comments
CG198
Star

Easier multiple camera recording from one motion detection. In other words allow me to choose Camera "a" to start cameras b,c and d recording without having to write a seperate rule for each. A simple drop down menu that lets me click which cameras I want to start recording when camera "a" detects motion. This would help with the recording delay if you could also have other cameras recording from different locations down an anticipated path of travel for instance. Right now I have about 20 seperate rules for controling cameras.

While we are at it a simple check box that let's me turn off push for a particular camera would be most appreciated.

Oh and a motion detector without camera that would allow me to turn on my choice of multiple cameras would be really great.

Thanks,

Carl G.

Dickson TN

arlomania
Tutor

This has probably been brought up. Would be nice if we can specify multiple cameras to record after one detects motion. Right now only can specify one camera to record.

Thanks.

DaneA
Master

Hi arlomania,

It seems that your feature request is somewhat similar on this link.  You may want to leave a comment to it or post your own version of your feature request on the Arlo Idea Exchange by clicking here and click on the green "New Idea" button.  Give it a kudos as well.

Regards,

DaneA

Arlo Team

itsmarkp
Aspirant

I really like this idea. It could be 1 camera triggering others, or a way to group cameras so that if motion is detected on any 1 in the group, then all in the group start recording. The recordings would have to be linked for easy playback in a grid so you could see everything together with the ability to full screen any single angle.

JCat
Follower

I have one outdoor camera to detect motion on my front porch.  I have another camera pointed out a window, but it will not record because it will never detect motion.

I would like both cameras to record if the first one detects motion.

JamesC
Community Manager

JCat,

This can be done by creating an additional rule for the first camera. For the sake of simplicity let's call your outdoor camera, Camera A. Let's call your window camera, Camera B.

The first rule you want for Camera A will say:

If motion is detected on Camera A then record video on Camera A

This will allow Camera A to detect and record motion as normal. You likely will already have this rule as it is a default rule for Camera A when it syncs to the base station.

The second rule you want to add for Camera A will say:

If motion is detected on Camera A then record video on Camera B

This rule will tell Camera B to start recording video when Camera A detects motion. No rule will be needed for Camera B. These two rules will allow both Camera A and B to start recording when Camera A detects motion. After you have finished creating the rules necessary, be sure to make these rules active on your selected mode.

I hope this helps!

JamesC

JCat
Follower

Dear JamesC,

Thank you !!

You deserve a raise.

You made me very happy . . . .  thanks for taking the time to explain !!

Happy Holidays.

-John-

JamesC
Community Manager

Fdigix,

This can be done by creating additional rules for the camera that you want to be the trigger camera. Lets call the trigger camera, Camera A. For every camera you want to be triggered by Camera A you will want to create the following rules for Camera A:

If motion is detected on Camera A then record video on Camera B

If motion is detected on Camera A then record video on Camera C

If motion is detected on Camera A then record video on Camera D

and so on for each camera...

These rules will tell your additional cameras to start recording video when Camera A detects motion.

After you have finished creating the rules necessary, be sure to make these rules active on your selected mode.

I hope this helps!

JamesC

XipperPDX
Guide

While yes this can be achieved with multiple rules, editing and managing those is a PITA.  Lets say you have 5 cameras and you want motio on al 5 cameras to record on all 5 cameras, that is 25 rules.  Lets say that you find you need to adjust the motion sensitity of your cameras...well now you have to possibly edit up to 25 rules, test, adjust, repeat.  Why can we not have more complex AND/OR matching for motion trigger and the ability to select multiple cameras in the same rule?  

JamesC
Community Manager
Status changed to: Implemented