Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Support more storage options

There are 2 type of markets:

Group#1: You have the none-techincal people, who just want to turn everything on, and start using it as a "for dummies" style. Everything is simplifed and beautifully presented to them without need to know all the technical stuff. They are welling to pay a reasonable fee for making their life easier.

Group#2: On the other hand, you have the computer geeks, like myself, would prefer my recordings goes to local NAS and then automatic synced to my OneDrive, this way I get a copy locally and a backup copy in my cloud. I know how to configure it, am familar with troubleshooting if have a problem. and frankyly I couldn't care less about the the nice interface after it has been configured. And i don't want to pay for more money when I already got tens of GB of cloud storage available at my dispose.

I see Arlo is satisfying only group#1, and making some money off the subscription. But I think group#2 would prefer an IP camera over Arlo partly due to the space limitation. If Netgear can support pushing recording to various cloud storages (local NAS, OneDrive, Amazon Cloud, Dropbox...etc), then you might get more share of group#2 market.

Comments
lscx
Novice

Totally agree!

I also would like to use local management and local store on a location without internet connection.

Th33nforcer
Novice

I have to agree with this. Perferably NAS instead of USB. I also have a QNAP and use Surveillance Station with me other cameras. I do have to ask...what are the USB ports on the base station for if Netgear doesn't support USB storage. I found that odd. Maybe a feature they plan to work on?

TheStuff
Novice
We should be able to save locally and not be 'punished' if we no do have an internet connection. I completely agree with Hula_Rock. Regardless if you want a to secure your network from 'internet' based threats or if you simply do not want internet access and have you home/business computers on a wlan/lan. Or a better suggestion is have a completely different network setup solely for Arlo?! thoughts on this? Arlo, has obviously thought about this due to the fact they put USB ports in the HUB. My opinion is this is a marketing decision not allowing use of the USB ports, why would they have spent money on adding them if not functional? When a software update comes out we will have access, I hope!
rellish
Novice

If you are not going to support local storage, then at least add some feature for cellular backup.

Hula_Rock
Prodigy

Come on Netgear STEP UP YOUR GAME !!!!!!!

We understand the revenue stream of your cloud storage.  All we are asking for is a back up, a piece of mind that our assets will be continued to be watched if we lose our internet connection.  At least give us a limited amount of local back up storage (5gig) just in case we lose our internet connection.

cameraUser
Fledgling

Agreed. I'm an RV'er and I want Arlo for my Fifth wheel trailer.  Backing up? Pop the magnetic camera on the back and throw my tablet up on the dash to see what is behind me.  Boondocking in the middle of nowhere? Move the cameras strategically so I can see what critters are running around at night...except the basestation requires Internet access to work.  I have a WiFi network on my truck and trailer, that's easy. But I regularly am without Internet access.  I would greatly appreciate it if Netgear would update these cameras to work "locally" on a wireless network, without the need for Internet access.

Arfrancis
Fledgling

Oh my, I just purchase and installed my Arlo unit to find out about the Arlo Cloud storage issue.  I agree completely with RobWest ‎2015-03-23 04:06 AM - edited ‎2015-03-23 04:12 AM.  I feel dupped.  I assumed that one would have storage choices.  So, what are the USB ports for?  Anyone! 

jp4strings
Follower

Started a Change.org petition for this functionality.  

https://www.change.org/p/netgear-com-enable-offline-storage-arlo-by-netgear?recruiter=12867134&utm_s...

lets make this happen!

Lipster
Novice

Yeah I was looking at your arlo product and am only interested if there is a local saving option.  I like the usb option mentioned.   To make your cloud still profitable you could make the local storeage only viewable from the local network and have no fancy front end gui too look at them.    Just a folder you can get too password protected.

RonNG
Novice

In the situation of thge free / limited free option are theree any plansa to change the setup with a software upgrade so both hard drive and cloud recordind or just hard drive recording can be acheaved in the future.

This would be a really great feature.