Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Support more storage options

There are 2 type of markets:

Group#1: You have the none-techincal people, who just want to turn everything on, and start using it as a "for dummies" style. Everything is simplifed and beautifully presented to them without need to know all the technical stuff. They are welling to pay a reasonable fee for making their life easier.

Group#2: On the other hand, you have the computer geeks, like myself, would prefer my recordings goes to local NAS and then automatic synced to my OneDrive, this way I get a copy locally and a backup copy in my cloud. I know how to configure it, am familar with troubleshooting if have a problem. and frankyly I couldn't care less about the the nice interface after it has been configured. And i don't want to pay for more money when I already got tens of GB of cloud storage available at my dispose.

I see Arlo is satisfying only group#1, and making some money off the subscription. But I think group#2 would prefer an IP camera over Arlo partly due to the space limitation. If Netgear can support pushing recording to various cloud storages (local NAS, OneDrive, Amazon Cloud, Dropbox...etc), then you might get more share of group#2 market.

Comments
VinnyE
Tutor

They are limiting their system. I want local storage in addition to their cloud service. I am currently looking for a better system to fit my needs. With local service. Plus without a very good wireless setup the recorded video seems very choppy with a lot of ghosting. Yes the camera itself is good but without good recording the way the user needs it it isn't worth the money.

P-LEE wrote:

There are 2 type of markets:

Group#1: You have the none-techincal people, who just want to turn everything on, and start using it as a "for dummies" style. Everything is simplifed and beautifully presented to them without need to know all the technical stuff. They are welling to pay a reasonable fee for making their life easier.

Group#2: On the other hand, you have the computer geeks, like myself, would prefer my recordings goes to local NAS and then automatic synced to my OneDrive, this way I get a copy locally and a backup copy in my cloud. I know how to configure it, am familar with troubleshooting if have a problem. and frankyly I couldn't care less about the the nice interface after it has been configured. And i don't want to pay for more money when I already got tens of GB of cloud storage available at my dispose.

I see Arlo is satisfying only group#1, and making some money off the subscription. But I think group#2 would prefer an IP camera over Arlo partly due to the space limitation. If Netgear can support pushing recording to various cloud storages (local NAS, OneDrive, Amazon Cloud, Dropbox...etc), then you might get more share of group#2 market.

Blag
Star

I have a second home in the country that has limited options for internet.  I would like alerts for motion/sound events, but not necessarily have the video recorded to the cloud - rather, I'd like it recorded locally (either on a connected USB drive or NAS, or on the Arlo Q Plus SD card).  The key here is that I'd like to be able to remotely access the local recordings (wither USB drive, NAS or Arlo Q Plus SD Card) via the app or a browser.  Seems to me that several people are asking for something similar (whether this recommendation or others I've read out there) - namely, that more options are provided for where and how video is recorded.  At this point, it seems like you have all the hardware pieces in place (at least with the Arlo Pro base station and Arlo Q Plus), and all you need now is some software enhancements to make this possible.

MattCervantez
Novice

This is a great request! I'd like to add to it if possible. I would like to see the option of timed uploads when using local storage. If possible, record everything throughout the day onto the local storage, then be able to configure a time for Arlo Pro to begin uploading the day's videos to the cloud. For instance, everything records to the local storage for the day. Then, configure it to upload all of the videos at 11:00pm (or any time you configure).

kevin4
Apprentice

@JamesCHas local recording via the USB ports on my gen 1 Arlo Wireless camera hub yet?  I understand that the newer hubs have it now but it sucks to spend a bunch of money every year to get features that could be done with software update (gen1 hub has USB ports like Pro).  Thank you!

JamesC
Community Manager

kevin4,

Local storage backup is only available when using a an Arlo Pro base station. Take a look here for more information: How do I set up local storage backups on a USB device using my Arlo Pro base station?

JamesC

kevin4
Apprentice

@JamesC I thought this was supposed to be added to the original arlo hub too though correct?  That's why it has 2 USB ports?

Forouzan
Novice

Yes, Please!!

We need to have the options of either use the cloud or local drive.  One of the main reason that I am thinking about other cameras is that they give you the choice.  If you fix the issue, I certainley use more cameras on the inside and out side of my house. 

brh
Master
Master

I thought I read somewhere that the Pro base station records both to the cloud and to any attached flash drive and if the internet went out it would still record locally. I would like a confirmation on that. Of course if the internet cable is cut you have a lot more trouble than just the cameras recording if you are also using any cloud based service.  For security reasons I would not give up the cloud recordings and only use local recording. The advantage of cloud storage is that as soon as someone enters my property I know about it before they cut the cable, (provided of course that I have enough cameras to cover my whole property).

Brian

JamesC
Community Manager

brh,

Take a look here for more information on local storage backup using the Arlo Pro base station: How do I set up local storage backups on a USB device using my Arlo Pro base station?

JamesC

Flash47
Novice

+1

Would like to see this option too.