Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Support more storage options

There are 2 type of markets:

Group#1: You have the none-techincal people, who just want to turn everything on, and start using it as a "for dummies" style. Everything is simplifed and beautifully presented to them without need to know all the technical stuff. They are welling to pay a reasonable fee for making their life easier.

Group#2: On the other hand, you have the computer geeks, like myself, would prefer my recordings goes to local NAS and then automatic synced to my OneDrive, this way I get a copy locally and a backup copy in my cloud. I know how to configure it, am familar with troubleshooting if have a problem. and frankyly I couldn't care less about the the nice interface after it has been configured. And i don't want to pay for more money when I already got tens of GB of cloud storage available at my dispose.

I see Arlo is satisfying only group#1, and making some money off the subscription. But I think group#2 would prefer an IP camera over Arlo partly due to the space limitation. If Netgear can support pushing recording to various cloud storages (local NAS, OneDrive, Amazon Cloud, Dropbox...etc), then you might get more share of group#2 market.

Comments
cruicky
Guide
Yes. I like how the Arlo server model gets round a dynamic ip address issue but the ability to store videos locally on the Arlo router (which has 2 usb ports) is a must. What happens when Netgear deem this end-of-life? Dont think it will happen? Mark my words.
LovelyNot
Apprentice

Well it's quite obvious that the arlo websites and systems are way overloaded already. About time someone created the local storage option.

Funny how netgear seems to be the only one website that still bugs me with loading times and slowness, every, and I mean *every* other service is fast and swift these days, they're all cloud-based, but when you depend on upstream added to downstream bandwidth with a roundtrip of 400ms and 3 wirefree cameras working on busy wireless channels on purpose, gee, no wonder this is going to be a big mistake.

yelena
Guide

Hello,

The Arlo Q Plus supports Local Storage.  Today many people have NAS storage devices at home and do not want to subscribe to cloud-based services due to privacy. 

If Arlo Wifi supported a NAS device like Synology that supports over 1,000 Internet-based camera I know a lot of people that would be interested.  I know of distributors that are looking for this capabilities also.

One of the key selling features of the Arlo is the mounting capabilities and to easily replace the camera if the battery dies.

bye,

ays

6gbram
Novice

I will surely buy these ( Ready to pay more if required ) if they provide Local Storage option. Waiting for Local storage !!!!

fat-stig
Initiate
This can be done using the new IFTTT channel. Download the IFTTT app and create a free account. Next add the Arlo channel and SMS and/or phone call channels. It's then simple to add a recipe eg IF motion detected on kitchen camera THEN send SMS to my phone

You can of course apply custom ringtones as needed

It works
JamesC
Community Manager

yelena,

I have relocated this topic to the Arlo Idea Exchange.

Thank you for your contribution!
JamesC

sbcroix
Fledgling

Dear Netgear,

I don't know if you have heard of Cleverloop or not, but as soon as they add batteries to their cameras, thats what I am going to be buying.

I'm a longtime customer...  I have a NightHawk, a ReadyNas 516, and a ReadyNas Duo.

I feel that my NightHawk should have the option of acting as the base station and that it should not only save to the cloud, but save to my local NAS(s) as well.

I want to keep it in the family, but you are making it hard to do.

bsquires456
Onlooker

I agree with the above, plus support of QNAP's surveillance manager

BigRedOne
Tutor

I love the 3 cameras I have but wont be buying any more (I would eventually use 8+) until I can store directly to my own local hard drive(s) and view real time what is happening around my home without the need for the cloud. I understand the benefits of not having security footage stored on site but that isn't a concern for me in my situation.

kevjef
Novice

I bought the system, which is great, but moved house to the countryside and now the internet keeps dropping out. Now that I am away in the middle of the week - no recordings. Please lets have some local recording.