Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

On & Off buttons for cameras (or maybe for the entire system)

It would be kind of nice to have on/off buttons for all of the cameras connected to the system.  Maybe even a global on/off button.  The scenario is......I'm at home and I don't want anything to be recorded.  Right now, it is a bit roundabout to have to create a new rule & scheduling it.

Thanks!!!!

Comments
Rodolfo
Star

You mean one easy button that an intruder could also press from behind the camera to avoid detection, and you would have no record at the discretion of the intruder, and possibly no camera affer that.  Is that what you actually want?  Of course the intruder could steal the camera from behind (if there is room) and maybe avoid recording as well, but why facilitating external control when the app asks for a password for you to do it?

Putting a ladder, go up and turn the camera off before cutting the grass and then do the same to turn the camera on when you finish the grass?

There is a feature on the app that allows turning motion recording on any of the cameras in the mode, just edit the mode.  No ladder, just your phone app.   It works as long as you remember to do it before your yard work, then restore it as it was.

cazidog
Initiate
That's funny! I just got an email congratulating me on my first post to the community. Date of email 11/25/2016! Date of post above 8/9/2015! AAAAAAAAHAHAHAHA!!
JamesC
Community Manager
Status changed to: Implemented

We have home setup with 6 Arlo Pro wireless and 2 Arlo Q Plus cameras.  While home, we leave the entire system off at all times.  When we leave we want to turn the cameras on.

To do so we must visit the settings page for every camera individually in order to turn them on.  This is not fun, sensible, or efficient.  I have 2 suggestions that would solve the problem.

1. On the Devices page, include an ON/OFF switch on each camera so they may be toggled without leaving the page.
2. Create a MASTER SWITCH slider on the devices page to which several or ALL cameras can be assigned.  Allow that MASTER SWITCH to control all cameras assigned to it.  This will allow users to do things like keeping 2 outdoor cameras on all the time and then controlling their remaining indoor cameras with the master switch when they come and go.

This idea will help the software be more user friendly and also allow quick enable/disable functionality for the cameras.  Thank you.

TomMac
Guru

There is no reason to actually turn off the cameras in settings....

that is really designed , IMO, for privacy as only the primary account holder can turn back on ( esp with shared cameras )

why not just use the Disarm mode... The cameras are basically off

As to having some cameras on while others off, that's what custom modes are all about.