Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

NAS storage and timeline search

I have been using Arlo for the past 7 months. While the hardware is great the operation is very basic for the price. The below are concerns that should be addressed.

1. NAS storage

While cloud storage is good for most people at this price point I would like the option to record locally to my nas and not be restricted by the need for an internet connection all the time.

2. Timeline search

To be frank your method of searching is terrible. It's the worst I have seen as an IT pro. Instead of image blocks, why can't you use a time line showing a grey bar with green bars showing motion recording. This makes it easier for the user to search and scroll through recordings.

3. I use Exacq for my business and the motion detection works excellent. The Arlo's on the other hand misses a lot of data which at times could be vital to an investigation.

4. Customizable views. Arlo allows for only one view to be reviewed at a time. There should be an option to view any cameras at once. Example let's say I have 8 cameras with 4 being outside and I want to view/review the 2 in the front and 2 at the back during a party I would have to constantly switch, unlink Exacq where I would just need to select the 4 camera I want to view

Thanks,
SC
Comments
Cwmmmm
Luminary
Across all arlo cams, arlo, Pro, Pro 2, ultra, there needs to be a new flow in the way you view your videos. Example,

you have a mode that’s set to record the front yard camera when there’s motion on the street camera. When you go to view the videos you view them individually arlo needs to have an algorithm where it ties the videos together so when the motion is stopped on the street camera it does a nice flow into the front yard camera view instead of watching both videos trying to piece them together.

Another example is that you simply have it the mode on armed. If someone is going from the back yard to side yard to the front yard, you have lots of footage to look through unless arlo just pieced it together and give you a video with a nice flow showing the whole scene nicely.

Maybe a timeline view would work or something but please ask if you need a better picture of what I’m talking about. Thank you.
bocadakota
Onlooker

I agree!  NAS storage and integration with NAS surveillance applications would greatly improve the Arlo camera systems.  Internet reliability is and will always been an issue.  Arlo system is always conflicting with my WiFi router and devices as I use fixed ip’s to maintain stability.  Arlo Pro is still very archaic as a surveillance system, but has great potential.  Not a system I would recommend in it’s present state, even for none technical persons.  

NAS: The cameras already connect via Wifi (it just happens to be a wifi network broadcasted by the station). I see no reason there shouldn't be a way to connect these to a NAS. Even getting the cameras to connect to wifi directly would solve quite a few issues these cameras have (like connectivity and distance limitations from the base station). Timeline: Considering Ring's recent updates and Nest's UI, it's fairly crazy to see the only timeline feature available from Arlo is in their CVR feature, and even then it's not a scrub-able timeline feature (defeating the purpose). Both of these feature are pretty much a requirement for Arlo to stay competitive on the software front, it would be silly for an implementation to not be available. PS: HomeKit support???
HighMans
Novice

Is it possible to hook up a NAS device to the Arlo Pro? I know it accepts USB local storage, but is there a module or device I can buy that can allow me to save to a NAS instead of the cloud?

Dawnyhey
Novice

I bought these Arlo Pro 2 (2 Bases) and 6 cameras because the exceptional but old 2012 security system I had in another state was not an option here anymore. I needed to have wireless cameras. I spent over four digits on everything (additional base station, extra batteries and charger, security outdoor mounts, etc. etc.!

I have and continue to be harassed by my Landlord ( disabled Heat Pumps then after I repaired 1, he cut the electric line to it, illegal entry, Spray poison onto and at canine children, etc.)

1. Old system- wired 3 camera/Monitor Uniden system- exceptional recording/options, exceptional area coverage at night and day, exceptional customizable individual camera recording options. Landlord unplugged outside camera before vandalizing.
  2. I needed to get cameras that I could view real-time, wireless, and covered around entire property.
  3. I am in litigation and now these recordings from ARLO are useless (at least I have some harassment on the old system). I am so upset as I am not in a position to have a security firm install surveillance, I had to charge the current base system before the additional accessories, am not able to even use the recordings I do have with ARLO, and am in real need as situation is escalating.
  4. Recordings have too long a lag time and miss important data.
  5. The recordings can not be downloaded at once and I spend so much time downloading each individual recording. 
  6. The lack of a DATE/TIME (to the second) STAMP is ARCHAIC !!! The old system had the date/time stamp to the second so that I could use in court!!! These recordings simply have a date/time stamp in the library if you want to view but to download it all just downloads with the same number and the TIME IS THE SAME FOR SOME RECORDINGS BECAUSE THE TIME STAMP DOES NOT GO TO THE SECOND!!!!
  7. I have spent so much money that I do not have just to have some peace of mind (ADVERTISED B Y ARLO!!!) and it only has made things worse. I cannot even view real time!!
  8. Real-time viewing is a laugh! By the time you receive an alert, then access the camera live and then actually are able to view, all is over!!!. 
  9. The lag time is UNACCEPTABLE!!
  10. The outside cameras were plugged in with the "additional" accessories I had to buy and then I got a "CHARGER FAILURE" EVEN THOUGH I USED AN ARLO CHARGER.
  11. I did the above to be able to view 30 seconds before the recording started--- again USELESS!!!

The only cool thing is that I have caught a fox coming up to the door, can see my canine children when i am away (kinda sort of) and have some visualization of the home when I am away. 

I expect a LOT MORE from NetGear and this very expensive system!!!

Ruprect_75
Onlooker

Cough ..... 'Camect' ...... Cough!

Biff_Ren_Dang
Onlooker

Ruprect_75 That's not going to be of help in this scenario...

Camect is connecting to the cloud and downloading the video. So the arlo uploads to the cloud, the camect downloads it again.

My Arlo died in the 4 years that I was trying to get it to even work properly. I had issues with broadband being insufficient to handle the uploading of the video, along with my base station not having a good enough signal to the cameras.

I will not make the same mistake again, as I will not purchase Arlo again.

When I was chasing up support, they took 2 weeks to figure out that my broadband wasn't enough to handle the uploads, after making me run about trying to get better strength on the cameras.

Overall, this whole ordeal, was a massive waste of time, where I should've paid an installer to put actual cameras around my house, or that I should've returned the unit as it wasn't fit for purpose...

The joke is on me for trying to make an effort to get such a PoS to have a feature that it should have, or hold out hope that anything would change on it.

JerryZhang
Initiate

A timeline UI for overviewing what happens during the day is way more efficient than a list of video clips. It's already something supported by some of your competitors (e.g. ezviz). Please catch up. I believe it can enhance the user experience a lot.

IMG_6708 copy.jpg

Ruprect_75
Onlooker

"Camect is connecting to the cloud and downloading the video. So the arlo uploads to the cloud, the camect downloads it again."
Thats not my understanding of how it will work. The camect will act as an external storage device which in turn will interface with a NAS. You wont interact with the Arlo app, rather the camect app. This is great for arlo cameras that can be permanently powered (as a few of my important ones are). I understand each senario is different but I am keen to see if I can finally use my NAS for security footage. Arlo should have addressed these issues many months ago.

Biff_Ren_Dang
Onlooker

You don't understand what that unit will do then... It actually says that it will interact with the cloud, and use that to download the video.

Nest and Arlo cameras work too, on an experimental basis. These cloud services could someday make changes that prevent them from working with Camect, so we do not recommend that anyone depend on continued support for them. 

If you're going to coin things, and just throw them up like they're a solution, at least know what they are doing first...