Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Motion detection on only part of the view without sacrificing any of the screen

To explain this I am going to use a living room as an example.

The way it currently is set:

Put the camera in the corner of the room and catch the entire room - Fantastic!

Anyone walks into the view, it records - Fantastic!

Now say there is a glass on a table in the middle of the room. 

I can "crop" or "zoom in" on the table and the camera will shoot only that, so if someone touches the glass it records, but it only shows the table.

What I want: Show the entire room - BUT - only put the motion detection on the table, so the entire room is in the camera view but the recording only happens if someone is in the table view. This way I can see where the person went, who the person was, etc instead of potentially just the hand grabbing the glass.

Comments
chung30
Tutor

Inzax, Thumb up.

yeah that is my thought exactly. A feature that is already exist on some other similar porduct does not seems so outrage to ask here. I'm not asking for facial recongtion or 500 feet range in 4K video.

I am happy to learn from any Arlo Engineers who care to comment here (rather this possible or not). There is just nothing to learn by someone who is not the source person but tell you No. I can't take everyone words on discusion forum as it is the only truth.

GabyWeeb
Fledgling

this feature is great and would love to have it.

edvardsen
Tutor

I too would love to have a motion dectection zones. This way I can avoid activation of the recording when a car drives by, but activate when someone comes up to our door. 

chung30
Tutor

@edvardsen

yeah, I really hope they could put out something like that, even just reduce the PIR sensing range that would be helpful. Right now if I zoom in to my drive way, the road traffic still triggers the video recording, but it record the zoom in area with no activity. If someone walk up to my front door, I would like to record what he car drives, what he is doing around the neighborhood and the whole area.

So this has been on the ideaStation for OVER TWO YEARS.  I JUST bought Arlo Pro last week.  Why is this feature (which is in Q) not in Pro Wireless cams.  Ring has it, why not Netgear?  

Come on guys...  the competition is beating you.  

ArloPro65
Guide

I've been using my Arlo Pro set up for about 4 months now and this is a huge frustration.  

I came from a Dropcam and was impressed by the hardware in Arlo Pro but disappointed in the software.  Dropcam has Arlo beat on the software portion.  

The ability to only trigger recording/push notification is there is activity in a certain zone is a must have.

This request has been opened for 2+ years.  Netgear / Arlo team need to implement this to keep up with the competition.  

DawnM
Arlo Employee Retired
Status changed to: Implemented in latest product

Hi Arlo,

You updated this link by saying this has been implemented int he latest product, but do not specify the product.  We do know it's been implemented in Arlo Q (wired indoor camera), but are you suggesting that Arlo Pro Firmware has been updated, or is it a new product?  If a new Product, is it a new wireless system like Arlo pro?  

Please advise.

Thanks,

Ron

riposter
Tutor

Was hoping to replace Dropcam with this system, but I'm defintiely missing the motion zones. Please tell me this is being considered for a future release.

gmanfred
Novice

I need to create a for each camera!  I want to be able to see out into the street with the camera over my garage, but don't like it detecting every car driving by.  For example, if I were to see a burglar in my drive, I wouldn't be capturing his getaway car.

Is updating the software for the wireless pro cameras with Zone features on your development roadmap?