Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Manual Firmware Update and/or notification of firmware with rollback

It would be nice to have the ability to upgrade firmware manually, as opposed to automatically. This used to be an option, but it was removed and set to automatic upgrades only. The firmware lately has caused many problems, including random cameras going offline and randomly not recording at all.  Being on stable firmware and not upgrading is more preferable to me and probably to others.

Notifications for device issues - it would be nice to have notifications, either push or email/text, when the system doesn't appear to be working correctly, or cameras are offline. In the last several weeks, my system has randomly stopped recording and if I didn't login to the app to take a look, I wouldn't have known there was an issue.

Comments
dsiu2902
Luminary

I just want to say "thank you" to all the people who supported my idea for a firmware upgrade option. It seems to me that there is only a few people who really wants this option. For the rest of the people, they don't want to do anything else except to comment "me too" and "same here" whenever a firmware upgrade that attacks their system.

I understand that everyone has other things to do with no free time left to talk about nonsense. I also have a lot of things to do beside this too.

Therefore, I will no longer pursue anymore for pushing this "firmware upgrade option". Since there is not enough people supporting this idea, Arlo will just continue to ignore our concerns and continue making their profits from us. After all, they can just give another firmware upgrade attack in a few months again and we will end up here with the same problem again...

If we are really lucky this time, we may even get a new firmware upgrade to strike us in just a few weeks.

I wish everyone the best. Good luck with your Arlo... 

Bartley
Luminary

I agree 100%. They should have a beta tester program along with the firmware upgrade option. That way those that choose to have joy with the firmware updates can and maybe help fix the bugs before the general population gets to play.

artzr
Tutor

I support this 100%.

The_Wraith
Apprentice
Absolutely. A cloud-based provider that doesn't communicate to its customers changes in systems and/or when updates are being planned, doesn't allow a customer to control those updates and timing, and does everything under a veil of secrecy is a horrible, horrible cloud-based provider.
ARLO_ROCKS
Star

I have 4 Arlo cameras that are 4 years old and a new base and Arlo Pro 2 Camera.  I have little issues with the ARLO app software on my PC and my Android phone.  What I have several issues with is the IOS on my ipads.  They are older ipads and will not update to the newer ios systems.  Your older versions of the ArLO app worked fine.  Now, since the last two updates, one of my ipads has lower resolutions on record and also does not record in live mode.  When you press live mode, it shows the last still of the library.  Why do you update software that is not compatible with IOS 10?  I cannot update any higher and now the software is useless.  I have removed all the devices including the base and to no avail.  If you insist on updating to fix bugs, consider that some of us are fine with the older versions.  Please allow a way to reverse or upload older versions.  I keep my ipad on my counter in my kitchen.  It is perfect size for monitoring.  Your software does not allow me to use it.  Please consider all those other than those who have newer equipment.

ARLO_ROCKS
Star

I agree.  I have an IPAD that I use in my kitchen which is the perfect size monitor.  It is older so the IOS only goes up to 10.  Arlo's updates knocked out live view and resolution quality on normal record.  I cannot reverse to an older "working" version so the ipad is virtually useless.

Beaucephus
Fledgling
Is there any way to set the firmware updates to manual? Because in the past year just about every single time there has been a firmware update it completely drains batteries and I'm about to throw this thing in the trash and go with NEST or something else. I've spent more on stupid replacement batteries than I have on the system in the first place. I've called, disconnected and reconnected cameras countless times to no avail. There is no doubt it is the firmware updates. If I can just do those manually, then perhaps o can get the batteries to last 3 to 4 months like they used to. Ever hear the term if it's not broke, then don't fix it? It's really sound advice if you think about it.
Ryan82
Fledgling

This is happening to me right now!!! I’m overseas and have no way to update my system. 

Peace of mind... gone....

Frustration.... boiling point...

@JamesC please bring back update requests or permissions, at least until your development team can be sure that the auto update feature works 100% of the time.

Security system is useless if it doesn’t work right?

Ryan82
Fledgling

This is happening to me right now!!! I’m overseas and have no way to update my system. 

Peace of mind... gone....

Frustration.... boiling point...

@JamesC please bring back update requests or permissions, at least until your development team can be sure that the auto update feature works 100% of the time.

Security system is useless if it doesn’t work right?

please bring back update requests or permissions, at least until your development team can be sure that the auto update feature works 100% of the time.”

I don’t believe the Arlo system has ever had a user authorized update system.  It has always been a “Here it comes, ready or not!” update system.

I had just arrived in Tuscany for a 10 day trip in September 2017, when Arlo pushed out an update that knocked 5 of my 10 cameras off-line.. I was using the cameras to monitor the construction of our new home and it was a horrible time for an update to be applied to my system.  Yet unlike most business software systems, consumers very often are not given any warning nor any control over when these updates are applied.  Your city could be in the middle of a riot, but if it was time for an update that might disable your surveillance system, that update will get pushed out automatically, without your consent and without you even having prior knowledge of the impending event....sorry about that!

...and when I submitted my case to customer service, explaining that I was in Tuscany ... 4,000 miles away from my home, I was told to bring my cameras to within 3-5 feet of my base station and resync the cameras to the base station.  ...showing a thorough disregard for the description I entered in my case submission in favor of rigid adherence to a script that popped up in front of the agent.

So, I agree completely that Arlo firmware and app updates should be authorized by Arlo customers before they are pushed out to these mission critical security devices.   Even if Arlo gave us a window of time, say 60 days, after which a critical update would be automatically applied.  That would be far superior to what we experience currently.

This is is why I use cameras from multiple vendors.  They push out their updates on different schedules, so it is unlikely two systems will go down at the same time.  And one of the systems I own/use, tells me there are updates available and I get to decided the timing of those updates.   Even WeMo smart plugs let me choose when to apply the firmware updates....good thing in that case for sure.  They nearly always go offline after an update, rendering them useless without manual intervention.