Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Live view is not fast enough

When someone walks in the frame of the camera, it takes way too long to view the image. Open the app, then wait for "getting status" which sometimes takes a minute, then press the play button on the screen, then wait for the camera to connect, then see the image. Pretty much useless for seeing whats going on at the very moment its happening.

Comments
Cwmmmm
Luminary

I truly believe they can fix this by rebuilding the app from the ground up, we all know by now (if you have HomeKit setup) the camera live view is zippy fast, no delay at all and is truly live. Arlo you need to rebuild your app for speed!!

bpitts
Aspirant

This is the single most frustrating thing and honestly have debated selling my Arlo's because of this. 

Miketech1
Initiate

Amen

I thought Arlo was kind of slow, and I was never able to answer the front door with it.  Every step was too slow, getting notification, getting app open and unlocked, getting to the device, gettting it to connect and then the lag between speaking and hearing.  

I got a Ring doorbell, and it isn't perfect, but it is a hell of a lot better at that than ARLO.  ARLO is good for 'what happened', RING is better for 'what's happening'.  I am using a RING PRO doorbell, that is powered- but I have all of my ARLO PROs on solar cells or plug in power, so they do have some pretty good power to them.

ARLO does have better scheduling of cameras than I have found with RING.

I'll keep my ARLO system as a 'back-up' to my RING,  like I said, it is good for 'what happened'.  It actually has captured three events around my house with multiple cameras that were extremely helpful.  But it won't work as an active system.

Wayne72
Apprentice

I think if the Arlo cameras had RTSP then a local connection could be made to the cameras by the APP and greatly improve the latency. In the early Netgear Arlo days RTSP support was requested but nothing eventuated.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_Time_Streaming_Protocol 

DinDallas
Follower

I agree with these comments and has been my biggest complaint w/ Arlo.  I am reluctant to invest more in other products because of this.  Don't know why Arlo rep is not commenting on what they are doing to improve this and makes me question further investments into their products even more.

Jimmy_hyndrxx
Novice

The connection time after hitting the play button is God awful. By the time the camera connects I'll have already been robbed

azarloGuy
Apprentice

Considering this thread was started over 4 years ago, that should tell you just how responsive this company is.  Can’t use covid as an excuse as 2017 was three years before covid.  I have several Arlos and several Wyze cameras.  To connect to my Wyze cameras takes less than 3 seconds.  That’s consistently nearly 100% of the time for over a year.  To connect to my Arlos at best is 8 to 10 seconds (rare) and at worst 15-20 seconds or no connection or multiple tries(frequent).  Mind you this is the same internet connection in the same house and no my Arlos don’t have a weak connection to the base.  This should be a high priority for them but sadly isn’t.  I don’t even see where it has been acknowledged by Arlo.  Just keep pushing out more products is the mantra.  Support be damned.  Some day that will bite them as competition continues to increase.

DinDallas
Follower

Yea, forget about it working as a doorbell.  By the time you open the app, authenticate, connect to the camera, whoever was at the door thinks nobody is home and has already left.

I was hoping new versions of the cameras would be better but they are not.  My Ultra has worse motion detection than my original Pro but that is a topic for another discussion!