Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Integrate Q to be used in a mode with wireless cameras

Now that the Q camera is available, I'd like to see it be integrated into the modes so you can add a rule along with the wireless cameras. Since we currently need a separate mode solely for one Q, its impossible to set up modes utilizing all possible devices for scheduling. Complete integration, treating the Q as one would for any wireless camera, increases the utility of especially the Q but all cameras as part of a system.

Comments
TnIan
Follower

Well, I'd imagine they'd like to sell some cameras. This is the only thing keeping me from buying a couple of Qs. Also the primary thing keeping me from recommending the Arlos to other people in general.

Easy-to-use home camera systems are getting to be a crowded competitive space, so I'd think they'd want to get on top of this particular issue. Or maybe not.

Trickyfrogman
Fledgling

Just received my Arlo Q and added it to the three cameras I have and astounded to see they don’t integrate in the way I expected. Particularly wanted the Q to trigger the base station alarm. 1 so I can be woken up and 2 so there is an audio deterrent for the intruder to hear! Why wouldn’t you do this? It’s an indoor camera and an indoor alarm! Please give us some help with this. Thanks. 

AntmanXP
Star

This is the entire reason I purchased the Arlo Q, was because I beleived it would integrate with my existing Pro 2 system.  Since they are all on the same network, it should be possible to enable triggering from one system to another.  Arlo Q triggers by pixel comparison, whereas Arlo 2 triggers by heat recognition, so I want to use them in matched configurations to ensure I'm capturing a full picture regardless of which device initiates the trigger.  Please add this feature.

AntmanXP
Star

Does anyone know how long this has been under Engineering investigation?  I know the Arlo Pro 2 is a relatively new system, but the original comment regarding base integration occurred back in January of 2016, so we are moving on close to 2 years on this topic... 

I know there is a workaround through IFTTT, but I really don't like providing my account/password to an external company to provide functionality that Netgear should be providing.  Two accounts/passwords means twice the insecurity, not even counting the insecrities that could come from less secure IFTTT partners.  Netgear could have the best network security around, but if someone can hack their partner sites, it creates more exponential vulnerabilties. 

If the functionailty can be provided by an external company outside of your home LAN, there should be no technical reason why those same triggering functions couldn't be provided from within the LAN, even if a message had to bounce back from Netgear servers.  I can understand needing IFTTT for integrating systems from different companies (Arlo to Samsung SmartThings, for example), but you really sholdn't need it to talk to a camera from the same system.  Please provide a timeline update on this feature...

Fustratingly waiting...

AntmanXP

cturboaddict
Tutor

You have to be kidding me. I have been using the Arlo Pro 4 camera base station kit for a couple years now, and received an Arlo Q for my detached shop for Xmas. I had no idea that they didn't integrate. This is total bs. 

I might have to return this thing to the store. Ridiculous. 

If I buy another Arlo Pro or an Arlo Pro2, will it integrate intot he base station? This should of been shared directly on the box.

cnir
Fledgling

It's a huge feature if "allow rules on Arlo Q motion/audio detection triggers Arlo Pro to start recording and vice versa".  I had Arlo Base multiple Pro cameras.  Within the same Arlo Base, i can choose any Pro camera detects motion and trigger any Pro camera to start recording.  I recently invested a Arlo Q and found out Arlo Q cannot trigger my exisiting Pro camera to start recording.  I'm disappointed after my Arlo Q investment.  

stlouismv
Fledgling

+1 I just bought and setup the Arlo Pro 4 camera system after having several packages swiped from my front steps before I got home from work.  So far, just having two of the cameras installed outside seems to be enough of a deterent, but the lag on the wireless cameras between motion detection and recording is definitely an issue and I understand why you can't setup motion detection zones on battery cameras.  Was hoping adding a Q inside the house looking out and setting up a motion zone for a large area around the front door, then having rules that started recording on the wireless cameras when motion is detected on the Q would be a great solution.

scmeis1
Novice

I am intergating all of my Arlo Pro's into smartthings. I expected that the 3 Arlo Q's i purchased would do the same. Now that i research back, its a 2 year request from many people. How many more people will be needed before Netgear realizeshow many people want this functionality. 

charris6
Aspirant

+1 that this feature is extremely needed. Just bough 2 x Arlo Q Plus and I was surprised to see they can be set in the same setup modes as my other 4 x Arlo Pro 2. This is honestly ridiculous for a cctv system - every device should work together as one system.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator

The Arlo development team routinely reviews posts in the Arlo Idea Exchange to assess which features the community would like to see implemented. Make sure to add your Kudos!