Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Incorporate geofencing into schedule

The idea of Arlo wireless cams is great in theory however based on my real-life use cases, I find the mode settings very limiting - especially the fact that I can only program using either schedule or geofencing at any time.

We are one of those families that doesn't have a set schedule or pattern on a daily basis - especially during the daytime. My preference would be to use geofencing during daytime (hopefully we get the ability to manage geofencing based on multiple devices soon!)

For night time while we are asleep, I need to use schedule and deactivate geofencing.

I realize that I can switch modes from geofencing to schedule every evening with just a few taps but doing that daily is a royal PITA.

In an ideal scenario, I would like it to be "set it and forget it" setup. That can be easily achieved by incorporating geofencing into schedule. E.g. "geofencing" from 7am till 11pm; "schedule" from 11pm till 7am.

This would make the cameras much more useful for me. I can't imagine other users not needing this type of setup.

Requesting that you guys make this an enhancement during one of your upcoming releases.

Comments
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator

Techteecher,

I would suggest setting this schedule on the Web Portal. You will need to edit/set your Geofencing on your Mobile App. Go to Mode > Geofencing (Pencil Icon) > Select Mode > Away Mode (Armed) Home Mode (Schedule). Now You Will need to create the schedule you wanted on the Web Portal & You will need two blocks. Go To Mode > Schedule (Edit/Arrow) > Select your days > The first block will have to be (Start Time 9pm) (Stop Time 11:59pm) The second block select your days & choose (start time 12am) (stop time 7am).

dbrasco
Tutor

@ShayneS

Are you saying this is now possible?!?!  Which would be awesome. 

On any given day if I am gone and it’s between 7am and 9am, arm and don’t give notifications.  If I am home disarm. Then between 9am and midnight if I am gone, arm and do give notifications.  If I am home disarm. Finally between midnight and 7am always arm with notifications no matter whether I am home or away.  Is this possible without being able to have two different schedules, one for away and one for home? 

dbrasco
Tutor

@TrulsZK wrote:

Be able to use both geofencing and scheduling simontenuoualy

The user may choose when / what you want to prioritise.
For example
Armed with alerts when away BUT NOT between 06:00-08:00
Disarm when home AND between 18:00-22:00 regardless of my position
Etc

@ShayneS

Are you saying this is now possible?!?!  Which would be awesome. 

On any given day if I am gone and it’s between 7am and 9am, arm and don’t give notifications.  If I am home disarm. Then between 9am and midnight if I am gone, arm and do give notifications.  If I am home disarm. Finally between midnight and 7am always arm with notifications no matter whether I am home or away.  Is this possible without being able to have two different schedules, one for away and one for home? 

dbrasco
Tutor

Sorry I don’t know why that double posted.  

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator

dbrasco,

You can use your geofencing and scheduling together. you will need to set your home mode as schedule. You are not be able to set alerts by time/day blocks currently.

Techteecher
Aspirant

Thanks for the response(s). I am still having trouble with this. It seems like it randomly  chooses to not record  anything when I leave the house to go to work. Today, there is nothing after I leave for work recorded at all. I'm sure the mailman came today but it did not record that. In one of these  threads someone asked if I had lined up the cameras correctly and I have. If I don't use geofencing and just  have them armed all the time they record everything just fine. Unfortunately, this is a mode that I find to have  limited value since it  records everything my family does while they are home (can you say, creepy:-) and eats through batteries very quickly.

I am still hoping to get this working correctly because without it these cameras sure seem to be limited. Thanks in advance. On  a side note, anyone having any luck connecing with tech support. I have a limited amount  of time to talk to them and would love to just send them an email (calling tech support can be difficult to schedule). I am trying to get on the live chat  right now but am still waiting for someone to pick up on the other  end. 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator

Techteecher,

Do you happen to be running any power saving features on your device. If so, removing this may help the device communicate properly. Do you have any special characters in your devices Name?

Techteecher
Aspirant

Thanks again. No power saving features and nothing strange in the name of cameras. All was working great until I tried to use geofencing. After using geofencing it stopped recording when I am away from home and seems to record only on the schedule. Thank you.

NoMorePotato
Onlooker

I know this came up in another thread with a number of suggestions but seems to have been overshadowed by the other suggestion in the same post relating to IFTT...

Anyhow based on my use of the system I'd like to be able to just set it up and not have to fiddle with it daily, to this end I want to be able to schedule the system to switch from armed (or custom mode) to geofencing e.g. schedule set for 24:00 - 06:00 (Armed), 06:00 - 23:59 Geofencing.