Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Implement a lan ping instead of geofence

Hello,
first of all I apologize for my English but it's not my mother tongue, I write here because I think there'll be more audience.

Next, my idea is simple but I think it's very more reliable than state of art geofencing.

Instead of geofencing I'd to use a protocol of this type: the arlo base will periodiocally (one a minute) ping (a simply icmp ping or a tcp connection) lan IPs of the mobile devices with arlo app installed and authenticated, if all devices doesn't answer then the base will arm otherwise it'll disarm.

It's quite simple to implement and it's very reliable, as soon as a device will connect to wifi lan the arlo base will disarm, without the necessity to use gps, geofencing and other unreliable features.

There are some point to resolve (what lan IP are to be checked?) but they can be solved easily inside the arlo app (for example, once a device connects to wifi the arlo app will announce it's presence with a broadcast message or discover the arlo base and communicate it the lan IP to be monitored).

By the way, I underline the necessity to have an open Arlo API to bypass some missing features and to improve our smart homes.

Thanks in advance,
imopen

Comments
imopen
Follower

I don't know why but a sentence has been trunked:

Instead of geofencing I'd to use a protocol of this type: the arlo base will periodiocally (one a minute) ping (a simply icmp ping or a tcp connection) lan IPs of the mobile devices with arlo app installed and authenticated, if all devices doesn't answer then the base will arm otherwise it'll disarm.

AntmanXP
Star

I agree...  Geofencing is highly unreliable.  If your on your home network, the Arlo Base station should be able to detect that.