Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Geolocation / IFTTT custom modes / improvements

Hi,

I am genuinely excited to see geolocation and IFTTT has been implemented, and yes I know its still 'Beta' but while it is still work in progress i would like to suggest a couple of improvements....

1) You need to support multiple devices. it makes no sense to have the cameras arm as I leave for work, only to get tons of videos of my wife leaving 10 minutes later.

You need to check for all devices to be out of the area before arming the cameras.

2) It should be possible to schedule 'geolocation' control.

Currently geolocation cannot be included in the schedule, which means i need to change the mode manually if like me you set them on during the night when you go to bed.

3) IFTTT - support 'custom' modes.

Currently you can only choose the standard armed or disarmed modes, you need to include for custom modes as well as being able to select gelolocation mode..

This would mean you could use the 'do' trigger to change mode quickly, helping to ease the pain of issue 2.

Overall though i have to say i am impressed with the additional functionality, but please Netgear, keep us informed of what you are working on!!!!

Kind Regards

Nick

Comments
Wetzel402
Tutor

@KikBxr1969, the aarlo component is simply making web requests  though the same API that the official Arlo app uses so it is able to set custom modes the user sets up from within the app.  I don't think Netgear will easily be able to "shutdown" these custom implementations since they are using the same API that Arlo is officially using.  Not to mention they already have an upset customer base looking for a proper workaround and would just further annoy us.  I think most of us are already at the point where we would no longer recommend Arlo due to their lackluster support for further smart implementations/integrations.  

DIEHARDave
Fledgling

Still waiting.. Also waiting for them to fix the ability to playback IFTTT triggered recordings on my phone! Really? A still shot with sound is all i can get without getting to a computer to view the videos?

What a joke! At this point i do almost feel custom firmware or something are going to get everyone where they want to be faster than Arlo themself can! Its very clear the capability exists from reading through these last 22 pages!

I am more than fine to give up all "cloud" recording functionality as local storage is all I need! While i am complaining... Why can't i record 24/7 to my local storage if i so choose? I would not do it with a non- wired camera but should be my choice to do it reguardless!

Anyway.. it does seem there is no reason not to complain because it  makes me feel better and keeps this topic visable to others and they clearly don't seem to be caring about their userbase which may help others with their decisions.

OZZIENEMO
Fledgling

How is custom mode for Ifttt still not available in 2019! ???This post starts in 2016!!!

I've also noticed that the default Arm and Disarm ifttt recipes don't work if a custom mode is active.  This did not seem to be a problem before I upgraded to Arlo HD Pro 

XJW
Apprentice
Apprentice

@JamesC 

@TomMac 

Guys.  Is there anyway to get Custom Modes prioritized for IFTTT ?

If we had this we could solve many of the Arlo deficiencies ourselves.

We could implement a widget to activate the system without having to trawl through menus waiting for the server to respond.

We could implement our own Geofencing solution that is much more reliable and does not kill the phone battery.

I wrote my own Geofencing solution a long time ago that uses almost no battery.  Why can't the Arlo team do it ?  Its not that hard.

Why are they so arrogant ?  Listen to your customers.....

TheBigGExpress
Apprentice

You could even just hard-code two new modes - foo & bar .

We could then make those modes do what we need, & solve 85% of these critical geofencing issues.

mechanicguy
Follower
@Arlo Are you paying attention to your customers? This thread is over three years old and we still don't have a way to automatically change between custom modes we create in your cloud.
ikanell
Star

@mechanicguy they are most definitely NOT paying attention to their customers.  They are just looking for suckers like us who get tricked into buying their products and are then left on their own to deal with all the problems.  I once went to the Netgear headquarters in San Jose (350 E Plumeria Dr) and met with a couple of their customer support folks to complain.  They gave me ridiculous excuses that somehow I didn't know what I was doing, and when I told them I would post my experience with them on Social Media, their answer was:

"Go ahead, we don't care, we get negative reviews all the time." 

Yeah, no kidding...

lpalt
Onlooker

When you advertise as compatible with Google Assistant it assumes some level of control not just viewing. OK, I thought, I will just use IFTTT... but to only have full arm and full disarm and not the custom modes is not all that helpful.  We need to monitor outside during the night while we are home and during my husbands shift work and only the whole house if we are all out, we use google for most things in the house so this is just frustrating.

I noticed in the latest Arlo app update they made some changes to Geofencing.  For this reason I tried switching back to Geofencing using two iPhones.  I did have to grant (always) location services to the Arlo app.  At first only the primary phone was recognized by Geofencing but once I reloaded (not reinstalled) the app on the secondary iPhone it was recognized by the app.  The app has two states, Home and Away.  You can configure each state.  I have mine set as follows: Home = Scheduled, Away = Armed.  This is working for me so far.  It is only day 2.  Hopefully if this works I will not need IFTTT.  I will update as I continue to test.  With luck, now that Arlo is a separate company, they will spend more time fixing the existing product.

Dumdidum
Tutor

Hello hello

Implementing custom mode IFTTT should be a matter of 2 hours maximum for 1 person.

All would be happy and the reviews would improve.

I just dont get it that you at Arlo arent doing this math....