Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Geolocation / IFTTT custom modes / improvements

Hi,

I am genuinely excited to see geolocation and IFTTT has been implemented, and yes I know its still 'Beta' but while it is still work in progress i would like to suggest a couple of improvements....

1) You need to support multiple devices. it makes no sense to have the cameras arm as I leave for work, only to get tons of videos of my wife leaving 10 minutes later.

You need to check for all devices to be out of the area before arming the cameras.

2) It should be possible to schedule 'geolocation' control.

Currently geolocation cannot be included in the schedule, which means i need to change the mode manually if like me you set them on during the night when you go to bed.

3) IFTTT - support 'custom' modes.

Currently you can only choose the standard armed or disarmed modes, you need to include for custom modes as well as being able to select gelolocation mode..

This would mean you could use the 'do' trigger to change mode quickly, helping to ease the pain of issue 2.

Overall though i have to say i am impressed with the additional functionality, but please Netgear, keep us informed of what you are working on!!!!

Kind Regards

Nick

Comments
XJW
Apprentice
Apprentice

Netgear apply the Minimum Viable Product methodology religiously.

They will claim development is prioritised. 

The answer is prioritize more into a larger development team.

They have been missing critical features like a widget to select modes for years.

Making it easy to turn the system on and off should have been top of the priority list years ago.

AvA110
Tutor

Is it really that hard to add this feature? As a software engineer I don’t think it takes more than few days for an engineer to implement it.

Arlo support please consider prioritizing it. Thanks in advance.

Mkomosa
Novice

+1. Using IFTTT to enable a Custom Mode is essential. When we are home I want the cameras to still record but not send notifications. Neither the Disarmed mode does not allow for any customization, so I must create a Custom Mode for this. It would be awesome if IFTTT could enable a Custom Mode. 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator

We greatly appreciate the community’s contribution and will keep the status of this idea updated as we get new information on its potential implementation. Thank You for posting!

shoustonnz
Luminary

Modes other than Arm or Disarm. Include custom and schedule. Schedule should work at the same time every day. Not when you remember to turn it on.

BillPDX
Aspirant

Even if one could select which one of your modes for IFTTT to arm, custom or not. That would be a great help.

The IFTTT disarm Arlo command will disarm any mode that is active, even a custom mode. I generally use it via an Alexa voice command. 

I also use IFTTT's "DO" button on my phone to disarm Arlo as I arrive home. That way, I don't have to activate the Arlo app and wait for the connections etc. IFTTT confirms the command was successfully executed. 

Srki
Initiate

+1 for the custom mode support on IFTTT. This has been an ongoing issue far too long. I can't believe this expensive toy hasen't got this simple update for 2 years. It is worrying that the support does not seem to care what their customers are writing.

RamonM
Onlooker

Hello,

Any updates on this?  It's been almost 3 years since thread started.

Wetzel402
Tutor

+1 I need this feature also.  It should not be difficult to implement at all one would think.  Most of the api work is already done...

DanLauer
Follower

Plus One on this.  People have been asking for this for years, and no one from Arlo is even willing to talk about it.  This is the main reason why I give Arlo a bad review any chance I get, and absolutely never recommend it to a friend that is trying to do home automation.

Even better would be to add this capability to Stringify