Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Geolocation / IFTTT custom modes / improvements

Hi,

I am genuinely excited to see geolocation and IFTTT has been implemented, and yes I know its still 'Beta' but while it is still work in progress i would like to suggest a couple of improvements....

1) You need to support multiple devices. it makes no sense to have the cameras arm as I leave for work, only to get tons of videos of my wife leaving 10 minutes later.

You need to check for all devices to be out of the area before arming the cameras.

2) It should be possible to schedule 'geolocation' control.

Currently geolocation cannot be included in the schedule, which means i need to change the mode manually if like me you set them on during the night when you go to bed.

3) IFTTT - support 'custom' modes.

Currently you can only choose the standard armed or disarmed modes, you need to include for custom modes as well as being able to select gelolocation mode..

This would mean you could use the 'do' trigger to change mode quickly, helping to ease the pain of issue 2.

Overall though i have to say i am impressed with the additional functionality, but please Netgear, keep us informed of what you are working on!!!!

Kind Regards

Nick

Comments
vitali108
Aspirant
All three points Nick suggested are essential for making a system to arm/disarm automatically.

I envision an ability to define a rule that consists of different events, such as phone geo location or time, and logical operations between them.
If the rule is evaluated to True I would like to define a mode to which a camera has to switch to.
ikanell
Star

I own several Arlo Wire-Free cameras.  One of my concerns is battery life.  So I was very surprised to find out that the Arlo software, which is quite flexible and sophisticated, does NOT allow cameras to be turned on and off through modes.  I don't understand this limitation.  The user can turn the cameras on and off from the software, so why not from the modes?  When my system is disarmed, why should the cameras continue to consume power and drain the battery, even though I don't need them?  This is especially true if Night Vision is enabled, because the infrared lights will continue to turn on in the dark even if the camera is not active; the only way to stop that is to turn the camera off.

Noutoo
Tutor

It’s great to see Arlo finally supports IFTTT and SmartThings. Unfortunately the functions provided are so limited it makes them just about useless.

I should be able to use IFTTT or SmartThings to switch between any of the modes listed within Arlo. Not just Armed or Disarmed. If I come home, I want my inside cameras off but I still want the outside cameras in enabled. I can't do this with IFTTT or SmartThings. It’s either all cameras on basestation On or off, nothing in between. I should be able to switch to the Armed, DisArmed, Schedule, Outside Only with no Notifications, ect. See the screenshot of the different modes via IFTTT or smartthings.

Using geofences in Arlo to do the switching is horrid unless you open the app every 15 mins. Even with “remember me” checked it, the mobile application seems to log out or go to sleep so the geofences never checks your location. I made sure Android Doze does not optimize the application and still doesn’t prevent the application from deep sleeping.

I'm basically stuck with manually turning things on and off or using the schedule which only works if you have a ridge schedule.

IMG_20160922_110000.jpg Screenshot 2016-09-22 111834.png

Alfjonny
Initiate
Oh yes, need this NOW!
ajcooper
Novice

This has been raised elsewhere as part of multi-idea posts but wanted to list it seperately to give it more visibility.

I would like to see the modes for a basestation exposed to IFTTT so that better control can be acheived.  At present you can only arm and disarm.  I would like to be able to revert back to "scheduled" based on an event from IFTTT.

coobrey
Aspirant

Yes, it would be great to have the system go into 'schedule' mode when all devices are home rather than just 'arm' or 'disarm'.  That way, when everyone is home, it will follow the schedule and auto-arm at night.

JamesC
Community Manager

coobrey,

Within Geofencing schedule, it is possible to set the "Home" mode to "Schedule". Edit your schedule to be sure you have the correct modes in the correct time slots and then set the Home mode to "Schedule" within Geofencing settings.

JamesC

coobrey
Aspirant

JamesC,

I haven't been able to get the built-in geofencing to work correctly on 2 iPhones.  My phone, the main one, seems to work.  But my wife's phone constantly says "unavailable".  I have followed your instructions on deselecting them, saving, then setting them again and saving.  Still nothing.  I have checked her location preferences on her phone (no purple arrow showing up on her phone to show it's using locaiton services).  Even deleted the app and installed it again on her phone.  

I was referring to having the ability to use 'schedule' as an option in an ifttt.com recipe.  I am currently using Life360 and have both phones in a family.  They have a first in, last out option but only to arm or disarm the system.  Not to set the first in as 'schedule'.

I would use the built-in geofencing for sure if I could get it to work.  

coobrey
Aspirant

JamesC,

I updated the second iPhone, and after it updated to 10.2 all seems to be working now.  Hopefully it lasts.  

I agree with this request. IFTTT allows for great connection with my Abode alarm system, but I want to go to the "Schedule" setting when I set the alarm to "Home", but this isn't listed as an option on IFTTT. Please add IFTTT triggers for all modes that have been created.