Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Geolocation / IFTTT custom modes / improvements

Hi,

I am genuinely excited to see geolocation and IFTTT has been implemented, and yes I know its still 'Beta' but while it is still work in progress i would like to suggest a couple of improvements....

1) You need to support multiple devices. it makes no sense to have the cameras arm as I leave for work, only to get tons of videos of my wife leaving 10 minutes later.

You need to check for all devices to be out of the area before arming the cameras.

2) It should be possible to schedule 'geolocation' control.

Currently geolocation cannot be included in the schedule, which means i need to change the mode manually if like me you set them on during the night when you go to bed.

3) IFTTT - support 'custom' modes.

Currently you can only choose the standard armed or disarmed modes, you need to include for custom modes as well as being able to select gelolocation mode..

This would mean you could use the 'do' trigger to change mode quickly, helping to ease the pain of issue 2.

Overall though i have to say i am impressed with the additional functionality, but please Netgear, keep us informed of what you are working on!!!!

Kind Regards

Nick

Comments
JamesC
Community Manager

Thank you for the feedback, I will forward your suggestions to the product manager.

JamesC

JamesC
Community Manager
Status changed to: Future Consideration

deanb2
Fledgling

Good start on the IFTTT integration, but I should be able to select any mode, including schedule and geofencing, instead of just arm and disarm.

For instance, I normally want to have geofencing enabled, but would like to disable notifications on the outside cameras if the wind is above a certain speed during the day, as it triggers a lot of motion detections, so that is another mode.  I also disable cameras in the back yard using a keypad and Homeseer and another mode.  And then I would like to renable geofencing at 11 pm.

Coppernic
Aspirant
I agree, geolocation is great feature but being able to include a schedule in "home mode" currently does not work. It will only choose the mode that would be present at the time the geolocation was changed. It would be great to either schedule geolocation or use a schedule in home mode. The reason would be to arm overnight even when home. Thanks for this feature and look forward to the suggested improvements!
arlodb
Novice

With IFTTT you can only select arm or disarm as an action option. I would like schedule to be an option. We use our Arlo Q set to record every night from 10pm to 6am. We also use it during the day when we are not home, however our schedule is different everyday.

We currently have two triggers set up, arm and disarm. We can use these if we go out and come back to the house. However when we use the disarm action it just puts the Q into the disarmed mode. It would be nice if there was a way to command the Q to go back into the schedule mode, rather than simply be disarmed. 

Esentially we want to be able to turn the camera off, but still make sure it records at scheduled times. This kind of return to schedule feature is built into the geofencing function. It would be really nice to have this as part of the IFTTT function as well. 

Thanks. 

rkm
Apprentice
Apprentice

+1 it's a nice start, but without custom modes the job is only half done, NetGear! 

rkm
Apprentice
Apprentice

+1 on IFTTT - it's a nice start, but without custom modes the job is only half done, NetGear! 

rkm
Apprentice
Apprentice

+1 it's a nice start to have IFTTT at all, but your suggestion definitely would be a great improvement (along with the even more important custom modes!) 

TastyWheat
Fledgling

This makes a lot of sense. If we can figure it for multiple devices, then the system will arm itself only when no one is in the house. That would be a huge advancement of this idea.

midget2000x
Guide

+2