Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Faster recording

This is as it states in the subject,

Based on my test experience there is a lag between motion detection and recording start. 

So according to tests (and this is one example)

There is a street in the camera view. A car drives by at about 15mph - Camera detects it at the beginning but by the time it records I only see the back of the vehicle. So there is a 2-3 second lag.

I would like that lag to turn to 0-1 seconds.

Comments
wlwl00
Fledgling

I just got this system and was dumbfounded it didn't have zones. My logitech camera from 2010 had zones, and they worked amazing.

Here is my issue, and why I will be returning my system if I don't hear of a fix in the next 30 days. I have a street in the background of my driveway. I need to draw a zone when someone comes onto my property, but I can't get notifications everytime a car drives by! If I zoom to a little area of the driveway, then I miss the entire surrounding area, including activity AROUND my driveway! This is ridiculous.

This camera has potential. This has to be an easy fix. Sure, it cost money to develop this into the software- but so does me returning all these used and beat up cameras, and the negative reviews people like me will leave. Look at your true costs. I simply want to draw a square. Like so many cameras have. I will hold off on returning and reviewing for a month... or I'm moving on.

Cirrus
Tutor

AskMcGowan wrote:

This is as it states in the subject,

Based on my test experience there is a lag between motion detection and recording start. 

So according to tests (and this is one example)

There is a street in the camera view. A car drives by at about 15mph - Camera detects it at the beginning but by the time it records I only see the back of the vehicle. So there is a 2-3 second lag.

I would like that lag to turn to 0-1 seconds.

A fair point, but this should be customizable, in the same way that we can alter motion sensitivity. Let the customer decide if they want the risk of more false alerts. I'd rather get a few more false alerts, and slightly decreased battery life, than a recording of the back of the burglar's head as he walks away!

traley
Aspirant

I didn't realize how much distance I could cover in 1-2 seconds.

At a normal walking pace I move 9-12 feet.

More than enough time for someone to avoid being captured on video by the camera. 

This lag time needs to be shortened.

Is there anything in the works to address this problem?

LaRat
Fledgling
Any idea when a camera with capability of hearing and speaking will come out? I agree with downloading recordings to alternative source. Possibly a cloud.
Kangeroo82
Fledgling

I bought these cameras after someone stole items out of my car that was parked in my driveway. I really want to like these cameras, but the delay in the recording times makes it so unreliable. I have put the sensitivity up to 100% and have 3 cameras in the front of my house. When I come back home, I will park my car in my outdoor driveway and walk in through the front door. When I received notification of motion sensed by my Arlo cameras, the recorded video starts at the point when I reach my door and about to turn my key to enter. Also, my neighbors from across the street have parties with multiple cars driving back and forth. None of these activities are triggering my Arlo cameras to activate, which is also very disconcerning. Is there any fix or update for our cameras? We paid a lot of money and would like to get our money's worth.

roobz
Follower

I have to say, this delay from detection to record may make me take my camera back to the store.  I have only had it for a few hours. So far, the detection is not very senstive and and the delay before recording is too long. My wife just came home from work, the only thing it recorded was the very back of her car when she pulled in the garage.  Mind you, the entire street she just drove down is in perfect view of the camera and seeing as she was pulling in a driveway, she was not going fast (maybe 5mph max?).  

At this point, the sytem is not giving me useable information to help in any situation where we might need it. For example, a car driving too fast who run over a kid playing in the street, or, more specifically to the reason i purchased the system, people coming by either on foot or via car and checking car doors to see if they can steal anything.  If they move relatively quick, i'm going to get nothing.

So, by the sounds of this post there is no fix, and this is just "how it's 'sposed to work" which means I may rethink my purchase.  If Nest could go outdoors, I'd be in.

roobz
Follower

Great post.  But for me it comes down to one thing, I can live with the rest.  If the delay after detection to recording is not addressed, or at least netgear can assure me it will be fixed in upcoming releases, I'll be retuning mine.  It's almost useless as a security camera.

StuBee
Luminary

I think Arlo has a very specific use case.....

I think it would be a bad fit for :

- Wanting to record cars that go by the house (or any quick action triggers)

- Wanting recordings from when action starts entering the field of view, to end.

I think it's a good fit for:

- Those who don't want to deal with camera cabling

- Don't mind replacing batteries every X months

- Only need to catch activity that lingers.  Such as someone at the front door.  Someone trying to break in the back door.

- Can be mounted in a way that catches the action moving across the field of view, rather than directly towards.

For those where Arlo doesn't seem a fit, you'll probably want a wired camera, which is always on/recording.  The arlo works the way it does to maximize battery life.

I'm not an Arlo apologist, as I'm still trying to find the best mount position for all seasons that doesnt' trigger on tree movements, light reflections, and trigger sensitivity.  However, I do believe I understand the technical limitations of why it works they way it does.

Kangeroo82
Fledgling

I want Arlo to work and I believe it can with the hardware that it has, but it needs an update. Even though it doesn't catch things fast, it sometimes will miss events completely. For example, just today when we had garbage day, the old lady from my block will sometimes wheel in our garbage cans back to our house. Two Arlo cameras were monitoring the garbage cans all day and somewhere in the middle of the afternoon, one of our garbage cans magically moved to our house whereas the other one stayed on the street. I went to look for footage and there was none from two different cameras. Another example is we have a camera nearby our side gate, which faces the basketball hoop on our neighbor's driveway. My neighbor plays basketball for an hour and nothing is picked up by the Arlo camera. Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. The sensitivity is at 90%. That is what i call unreliable. I paid $500 for 3 cameras, 2 stands, and a base station. I want this thing to work, but it needs to be improved.

WadeShuler
Star

It seems like the only thing they addressed from the many reasonable (and should have been done from day 1) requests was the recycle bin. They didn't add a "delete" or "empty" feature, they just removed the entire recycle bin.. lol All this time, and not crap for updates... This is why I never liked Netgear anyways.. Linksys/Cisco FTW!