Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

External Sensors w/o Cameras (External Motion Detection/"Tripwire")

Because of Arlo's excellent video quality and excellent field of view I am able to see most of a large room/outdoor area with one camera. Unfortunately this tends to minimize the effectiveness of the motion detection as the camera tends to be more centrally located and so it does not detect something/someone until it is halfway or more across the room/area if it detects it at all.  This leaves users with the undesirable options of either compromising their camera placement to accomodate motion detection or using an entire camera exclusively as a motion detector with little to no useful function as a camera. This latter scenario is a situation for which the camera is over-qualified and overpriced.  A separate motion sensor that would trigger the camera to start recording when someone enters the room/access point would alleviate this issue. It could also help with the issue that myself and others  are having with lag in recording start time. The sensor could be placed further out from the camera when necessary so that it could trigger the camera to start recording earlier, accounting for the lag time and recording what users actually wanted recorded.

An additional sensor would not be something that would be required of all cameras and placements, but it would be useful for specific scenarios and even having two sensors at opposite inds of a room/area triggering one camera could be a useful setup. As it is though, it is relatively cost prohibitive to expand your system to do this as the cameras are the only sensor option and cost too much to be wasted on being merely a sensor. Additinally these "wasted" cameras eat into your allotment under the current subscription you have and could create additional cost to the user for an upgraded subscription. As it is, I am hesitant to expand my system (currently at 4 cameras), even though I would like to have greater coverage, because of the up front cost of the cameras not being used to their full potential combined with the monthly cost of the upgraded subscription. I would be far more willing to expand my system and upgrade my subscription if there were external sensors that would allow me to use my system effeciently and effectively like I want to without the inflated up front cost.  

I could see how this could be achieved either through hardware development of sensors exclusively for Arlo or through software development of integration with already established systems which perform comlementary functions. With either one, if the price is right I'm in, if it stays as it is my expansion is stuck.

Comments
Striatum
Observer

Netatmo is launching "Welcome Tags" for their camera system to notify when a door or windows opens. This would be a great idea for Arlo as well.

Or you just make it possible to add 3rd party systems via IFTTT or a similar service.

RoelW
Fledgling
in my current setup I use one camera to detect movement, but in this position it is too late to really capture valuable images. For this it would be nice to have a lower cost detector only, which would trigger cameras on other locations.
RoelW
Fledgling
Exactly what I would buy and what would give me the ability to make my setup much more reliable and useful.
JamesC
Community Manager

tboon,

Welcome to the community! Great feedback. Thank you for your contribution!

Regards,

JamesC

phoose
Novice
Came to post the same thing, I love everything about this, I'm my backyard there are places where only one camera can reasonably be mounted, and it covers it, but it doesn't detect people in more than half the view. on my front door, the camera is under an overhang, there's just enough delay that if someone came and kicked the door quickly, it would start just after they entered. A remote detector 5-10' out could really improve this and allow recording the entire interaction. +1
nickmobbs
Apprentice

Hi,

I would be happy to pay good money for some additional wireless 'Arlo' specific motion detection sensors which could be used to trigger camera recordings.

My cameras are well placed and provide excellant video coverage but the motion detection is limited because of various obstacles (such as parked cars!) which prevent them from picking up movement.

A wireless motion detector mounted in a suitable location would be a great addition to the system.

Please Netgear, provide some useful information on what features / accessories are being developed and when we should expect to see them?

I have had Arlo for some weeks and am very pleased with it, however I share peoples issues such as the motion detection problems, it is obvious there is a real lack of 'useful' information from Netgear detailing what they are doing about it and what is coming in the future.

If you want to keep customers and attract new ones, please communicate with us!

XJW
Apprentice
Apprentice

The best position for motion detection and the best position for the camera are often different.  I have a camera facing the front gate but it is hit and miss because motion detection would work better from the side.  Develop a separate PIR module which should be cheaper and have better battery life.  And it could be used for many other applications if you expand arlo to home automation. 

JamesC
Community Manager

Thank you for posting your idea! I agree that something like this could be a beneficial addition to the system. Thanks again for your contribution!

scavngr
Onlooker

Although I know it sucks, I was extremely pleased to hear from Arlo support that someone else has these issues, because this is more than just a suggestion. The issues below dictate the REQUIREMENT for motion detectors that can be paired to the Arlo base station so a rule can be setup to trigger one or more cameras to begin recording on detection.

1) limited detection range

2) delay between detection and recording (this has substantially improved with camera firmware updates, but still exists)

3) detection only optimal when movement is perpendicular to the sensor

I have a long, narrow walkway up to my front door with 11' high brick walls on both sides that significant limits my ability to position a camera at an angle sufficient to trigger the camera and also cover the required field of view. When I called support they could only explain how to set up a rule to begin recording on a different camera than the one that detects the motion. This led to me using two cameras to cover one field of view (one as a motion sensor and one as a camera). The only reason(s) someone would need to begin recording on a different camera than the one that detected the motion are the issues above. I sincerely hope Netgear is already developing remote motion detectors that can be placed far enough away to trigger the camera before someone runs through the field of view and also perpedicular to the predicted path of travel. Help us if you want to keep us as customers, Netgear!

captainamerica
Fledgling

I too face the same problem with a walkway on both sides that limits camera position to my front door. A remote sensor could possibly alleviate the lag on recording and be a cheap solution. Either release this yourselves as an arlo product or add a way to include another product. Please release this asap!