Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

External Sensors w/o Cameras (External Motion Detection/"Tripwire")

Because of Arlo's excellent video quality and excellent field of view I am able to see most of a large room/outdoor area with one camera. Unfortunately this tends to minimize the effectiveness of the motion detection as the camera tends to be more centrally located and so it does not detect something/someone until it is halfway or more across the room/area if it detects it at all.  This leaves users with the undesirable options of either compromising their camera placement to accomodate motion detection or using an entire camera exclusively as a motion detector with little to no useful function as a camera. This latter scenario is a situation for which the camera is over-qualified and overpriced.  A separate motion sensor that would trigger the camera to start recording when someone enters the room/access point would alleviate this issue. It could also help with the issue that myself and others  are having with lag in recording start time. The sensor could be placed further out from the camera when necessary so that it could trigger the camera to start recording earlier, accounting for the lag time and recording what users actually wanted recorded.

An additional sensor would not be something that would be required of all cameras and placements, but it would be useful for specific scenarios and even having two sensors at opposite inds of a room/area triggering one camera could be a useful setup. As it is though, it is relatively cost prohibitive to expand your system to do this as the cameras are the only sensor option and cost too much to be wasted on being merely a sensor. Additinally these "wasted" cameras eat into your allotment under the current subscription you have and could create additional cost to the user for an upgraded subscription. As it is, I am hesitant to expand my system (currently at 4 cameras), even though I would like to have greater coverage, because of the up front cost of the cameras not being used to their full potential combined with the monthly cost of the upgraded subscription. I would be far more willing to expand my system and upgrade my subscription if there were external sensors that would allow me to use my system effeciently and effectively like I want to without the inflated up front cost.  

I could see how this could be achieved either through hardware development of sensors exclusively for Arlo or through software development of integration with already established systems which perform comlementary functions. With either one, if the price is right I'm in, if it stays as it is my expansion is stuck.

Comments
wasseng
Tutor

Since Arlo supports both IFTTT and Samsung SmartThings you can set up sensors through those services to trigger the Arlo to record. This Applet for instance - If SmartThings sensor opens, Arlo starts recording - https://ifttt.com/applets/413209p

Pet1700
Apprentice
What smarthings outdoor battery operated sensor would you recommend?
nadinedemers
Novice

I completely agree. My situation is similar to othes. One camera covers my driveway, parking spaces, and walkway to my front doors. The camera consistently fails to detect motion, my understanding is because the objects are coming towards the camera. I do not want to add on another camera just for the sole purpose of detecting motion and turning on the other camera. That is simply not worth the initial and added costs and it would be more beneficial to hardwire a camera system at that point. This camera set has great potential and the ease of set up is fantastic, however this kink, and the fact that the cameras will shut off even while their is constant motion in front of them and don't turn back on, are major flaws that lead me to consider returning the set I had bought. It would be greatly beneficial if we could have additional motion detectors and if the cameras would record until the motion stops instead of having only set increments which can lead to unecessary storage space and battery consumption. This would save the consumers and the organization's resources.

Kingbocaj
Novice
The lag time on recording is my main problem. When someone walks down the side of my house I get a shot of the top of their head. I watch the mail carrier walk away but not deliver, etc. If there was a seperate motion sensor to kick on the camera ahead of time I'd have a good video. Also it would be nice if it could work on more than one camera.
jfalbo
Aspirant

A separate device to detect motion only would be handy. Not a camera, just a motion detector.

Dougcjohn
Guide

Other posts indicate it may be challenging to "zone" the area of motion detection due to camera's PIR sensor performs the motion detection not the camera video capture. 

To provide controled zone detection and allow wide view camera capture; provide option of lower cost PIR sensor(s) that can be placed seperately from cameras. Also add the feature to Group cameras by placing in a capture group and option to disable individual motion detection on selected cameras. This would allow Cameras to be placed in ideal postion to capture the desired full view without concern of motion within view, and place 1-N PIR sensors aiming away from undesired motion with selectable range/sensitivity. Expample: Driveway & walkway. Place PIR Sensors toward driveway entrace aiming up toward home so background / street motion is not detected and place cameras on home aimed to capture wide view. When car / person / perp enters driveway or other location using alternate sensor locations it triggers motion and any camera within the Group begins recording. Recording length could be until "no motion" or maximum period (2-10 minutes) of time with auto stop if no motion detected. That would allow for delivery truck to trigger and the full multi-camera capture of movement through coverage area. Camera groups could be multiple groups and cameras could reside in multiple groups. Example: Ft Door camera could be in side yard sensor group and in Driveway sensor group. Inside could be PIR sensors placed near entrace corridors and cameras (multi room group) could be positioned in wide angle viewpoints to capture movement transversed from room to room. 

The zone of dectection remains a desired option in addition to options for seperate PIR sensors & Camera Groups. 

Hula_Rock
Prodigy

It has been suggested at least a thousand times.

Let's be honest we cannot always install our cameras in ideal locations for motions to trigger a recording event.  A stand alone PIR unit (for motion detection) is needed.  This unit can help tigger other cameras in the same zone to record when motion is tripped.

Again it as been requested and Netgear did not bite.  My Idea:

1.  Use the Arlo Pro Housing/enclsoure

2.  Use the same 'Upgraded" motion detection PIR array, that is on the bottom.

3.  On the top Half of the Unit, instaed of the camera,  install a High output LED light.

4.  Around the Light install IR lights for night vision.  (give the user the option to select IR lights OR LED lights in the unit setup)

5.  Give user the option to customize the unit, Motion sensitivity, Use IR lights OR LED when triggered,

BENEFITS:

-  By using the Arlo Pro housing, you could also incorperate Audio Detection and have the benefit of a rechargable battery.

-  LED Light will use low power consumption, illuminate coverage area, giving the recoding camera the ability to record in HD Color instead of B/W

-  Additional IR lights on this unit may help with better low light illumination.

-  You can use the same accessories as the Arlo Pro skins, mounts, etc.

Buzord
Tutor

I would like a sensor to put on my front garden gate, this way certain  cameras can start recording as soon as the gate is opened, or at least ready the camera to record the intruder rather than miss the first 10 seconds - If a clued up burglar sees someone with the Arlo sticker in their window, they know they have got about 10 second to take the camera out  before it starts recording them, thats quite a big floor in the system, so an advanced "Trip sensor" would be great.

Sensors would also be great on external doors and windows, if one is opened/broken a notification is received.

LJN
Novice
Novice

I Would like to have satellite motion detectors that I could link to specific cameras.

My thoughts exactly.  I played around with the Rules and love 'em.  But I don't want to fork out nearly $200 just for a motion sensor.  This would even allow people to place cameras inside windows if desired.