Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

External Sensors w/o Cameras (External Motion Detection/"Tripwire")

Because of Arlo's excellent video quality and excellent field of view I am able to see most of a large room/outdoor area with one camera. Unfortunately this tends to minimize the effectiveness of the motion detection as the camera tends to be more centrally located and so it does not detect something/someone until it is halfway or more across the room/area if it detects it at all.  This leaves users with the undesirable options of either compromising their camera placement to accomodate motion detection or using an entire camera exclusively as a motion detector with little to no useful function as a camera. This latter scenario is a situation for which the camera is over-qualified and overpriced.  A separate motion sensor that would trigger the camera to start recording when someone enters the room/access point would alleviate this issue. It could also help with the issue that myself and others  are having with lag in recording start time. The sensor could be placed further out from the camera when necessary so that it could trigger the camera to start recording earlier, accounting for the lag time and recording what users actually wanted recorded.

An additional sensor would not be something that would be required of all cameras and placements, but it would be useful for specific scenarios and even having two sensors at opposite inds of a room/area triggering one camera could be a useful setup. As it is though, it is relatively cost prohibitive to expand your system to do this as the cameras are the only sensor option and cost too much to be wasted on being merely a sensor. Additinally these "wasted" cameras eat into your allotment under the current subscription you have and could create additional cost to the user for an upgraded subscription. As it is, I am hesitant to expand my system (currently at 4 cameras), even though I would like to have greater coverage, because of the up front cost of the cameras not being used to their full potential combined with the monthly cost of the upgraded subscription. I would be far more willing to expand my system and upgrade my subscription if there were external sensors that would allow me to use my system effeciently and effectively like I want to without the inflated up front cost.  

I could see how this could be achieved either through hardware development of sensors exclusively for Arlo or through software development of integration with already established systems which perform comlementary functions. With either one, if the price is right I'm in, if it stays as it is my expansion is stuck.

Comments
jguerdat
Guru

Right now, the answer is no. A second camera would be the only hardware to do this. However, contemplate your camera's location and positioning as a possible fix. Not every location will allow for a great position and/or angle. If you can try postioning/angling differently so motion is detected at the edges moving across the FOV. Maybe a different mount would help for more choices of angle that the magnetic ball doesn't allow.

TomMac
Guru

jesse03 wrote:

I have 1 arlo wireless camera installed close to my front door where I'm trying to catch the faces of people coming up to my door but unfortunately the traffic to the camera is head on so the motion sensor detects the motion as the person leaves.  It would be awesome if arlo would come out with a remote motion sensor that could trigger a camera to start recording.  I really do not want to buy another camera to do accomplish this task since all I really need is a remote motion sensor.    

where there is a slight delay in startup, move the camera away from the door a bit if possible. ...  you'll get the back of the person at first, but the face as they leave.

T9001
Star

Yes. Good idea. The lag is awful, and I swear it's worse after the latest update.

JamesC
Community Manager
Status changed to: New Ideas

mikewho
Tutor

This is a very good idea. I have one camera set up to fully utilize the 130° field of view, with a pathway along the far-left of the field-of-view. The issue is that the motion detection doesn't work at all for anyone coming along the path, since the camera/motion detection sensor is pointed 65° away from the pathway direction. If I could place a motion sensor at the gate that leads to the pathway, this would solve the issue entirely.

medinarrior
Guide

There is 2 options...

1.- Create and sell more sensors... Motion Sensor, Open / Close Sensors, Outlet.

2.- Be compatible with Apple Home Kit or Samsung SmartThings or any other Smart home hubs in order to interconnect devices so they work together.

Regards.

bstamper
Aspirant

Yes, this!  And it would be great if maybe these "motion detectors" were a bit cheaper than buying a whole camera!

chj58
Onlooker

I totally agree. Either lag time between motion and recording needs to be zero, or the cameras need wider motion detection range, or Netgear/Arlo needs to produce sensors that can broaden the motion detection range.

Also, having been intentionally jammed recently, the system needs to be able to to change the channels for 2.4Ghz signal (AT&T can do it with their Uverse routers). Either this or the ability for cameras and the base station to sequentially change between 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. Many, and I do mean MANY people are having their camera/cameras all become disfunctional at the same time.

Your sales would leap if these issues were eliminated. Come on Netgear, listen to your customers, please!

Chuck-VA
Follower

Separate motion detection IR Light

There have been several feature request for a “Separate motion detection” only device

Peaceable at strategic locations to minimize false triggers and trigger the record, outside the current range of the cameras sensor.

I have noted the camera has excellent sensitivity in night mode but is significantly limited by the power output of the IR light the camera houses.

A Separate motion detection device with an additional IR light would greatly improve the night time range, bringing it closer to the daytime range.

Reccomendation: A “Separate motion detection” device should include an additional IR light.

barncii
Fledgling

Having the ability for each cameras motion detection to trigger another camera to recored is great, but cameras are expensive. It would be great if a cheaper device that could be used as a trigger only (couldnt record video) could be purchased as well. This could allow a camera to start recording when motion is too far from the camera, but you would still like to be recording if motion is in that area. Think of it as a way to increase the motion sensing range of the cameras.