Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

External Sensors w/o Cameras (External Motion Detection/"Tripwire")

Because of Arlo's excellent video quality and excellent field of view I am able to see most of a large room/outdoor area with one camera. Unfortunately this tends to minimize the effectiveness of the motion detection as the camera tends to be more centrally located and so it does not detect something/someone until it is halfway or more across the room/area if it detects it at all.  This leaves users with the undesirable options of either compromising their camera placement to accomodate motion detection or using an entire camera exclusively as a motion detector with little to no useful function as a camera. This latter scenario is a situation for which the camera is over-qualified and overpriced.  A separate motion sensor that would trigger the camera to start recording when someone enters the room/access point would alleviate this issue. It could also help with the issue that myself and others  are having with lag in recording start time. The sensor could be placed further out from the camera when necessary so that it could trigger the camera to start recording earlier, accounting for the lag time and recording what users actually wanted recorded.

An additional sensor would not be something that would be required of all cameras and placements, but it would be useful for specific scenarios and even having two sensors at opposite inds of a room/area triggering one camera could be a useful setup. As it is though, it is relatively cost prohibitive to expand your system to do this as the cameras are the only sensor option and cost too much to be wasted on being merely a sensor. Additinally these "wasted" cameras eat into your allotment under the current subscription you have and could create additional cost to the user for an upgraded subscription. As it is, I am hesitant to expand my system (currently at 4 cameras), even though I would like to have greater coverage, because of the up front cost of the cameras not being used to their full potential combined with the monthly cost of the upgraded subscription. I would be far more willing to expand my system and upgrade my subscription if there were external sensors that would allow me to use my system effeciently and effectively like I want to without the inflated up front cost.  

I could see how this could be achieved either through hardware development of sensors exclusively for Arlo or through software development of integration with already established systems which perform comlementary functions. With either one, if the price is right I'm in, if it stays as it is my expansion is stuck.

Comments
JamesC
Community Manager
Status changed to: New Ideas

JamesC
Community Manager
Status changed to: Future Consideration

I'm not  sure that this idea is doable, but since the range of the motion detection/infrared is limited-  I was thinking that creating a sensor, similar in capability to the cameras,(motion/infrared)  which could be placed beyond a cameras range, that could used to trigger cameras to record- might enhance the limited Arlo system's capabilities, and in doing so- make you some more money. 

MountedArcher
Follower

I just set up a "CMVision IR110 - 114 LED Indoor/Outdoor Long Range 200-250ft IR Illuminator With 2A 12VDC Adaptor" from Amazon.  This requires a power supply.

Here's the before picture:

before.jpg

And here's with the IR illuminator:

after.jpg

Big difference. But unfortunately it doesn't seem to improve the very limited arlo detection range at all which is really dissapointing.  I'd love to see a smartthings capabilty where I could have some other device trigger my cameras.

On the plus side: this camera is in the middle of a field 240 feet from the base station. I've got another one that's 450 feet (!) from the base and it works fine.  Nothing but a garage door though between cameras and base.

jguerdat
Guru

Yeah, the detection range has nothing to do with illumination. However, you could use another camera to act as a remote trigger through your rules. Others have suggested a separate detector instead of using a camera. See if there are posts in the Submit An Idea area and add kudos to it to help bring it to be.

SimonF
Guide
Would like to see this piece of hardware even when a reduction in lag times could be implements - this could give you the ability to capture a "different" video depending on configuration. 👍🏻
JamesC
Community Manager

JamesC
Community Manager

JamesC
Community Manager

jesse03
Aspirant

I have 1 arlo wireless camera installed close to my front door where I'm trying to catch the faces of people coming up to my door but unfortunately the traffic to the camera is head on so the motion sensor detects the motion as the person leaves.  It would be awesome if arlo would come out with a remote motion sensor that could trigger a camera to start recording.  I really do not want to buy another camera to do accomplish this task since all I really need is a remote motion sensor.