Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Exclude areas from triggering recordings

You already have an option to create trigger zones, why not add one to create 'ignore zones'.

I have one tree outside our house that triggers the camera constantly in the wind. the only way to stop it making 30+ recordings in a day is to turn the sensitivity down but then I miss actual events. It would be good to just highlight the tree and say ignore this thing...

Comments
jteichmiller
Fledgling

@BrianTurner wrote:

You already have an option to create trigger zones, why not add one to create 'ignore zones'.

I have one tree outside our house that triggers the camera constantly in the wind. the only way to stop it making 30+ recordings in a day is to turn the sensitivity down but then I miss actual events. It would be good to just highlight the tree and say ignore this thing...

This is a FANTASTIC idea, and would be useful for my application as well!

JanineHubet
Novice

I have a tree that constanly sets off a camera. Need to be able to control to zero notofication in that area, when will you offer this option? 

TCB2
Novice

We currently have the option to create activity zones which include areas to monitor for motion.  If you are trying to work around a particular object, this can be cumbersome.  I would like to suggest we also get the option on activity zones to EXCLUDE the area selected instead of just including.

ncudmore
Tutor

Agreed this is a great idea.  I have a camera on my landing and people walking past the bottom of the stairs will keep triggering the camera.   Once on the stairs or landing then fine; but, just need a small ignore zone to solve the issue...

DawnM
Arlo Employee Retired
Status changed to: Engineering Investigation

CMarshall85
Aspirant

The option to exclude areas would be very helpful for me. There are 3 tall grass bushes that constantly set off the motion sensor but with the 3 rectangular inclusion zones I can’t cover all the area I need to while also excluding the bushes.

Ewf2001
Guide

Great idea! This would be realy helpfull in reducing "false" alarms

Jg19man
Tutor

I strongly agree as well.  My tree is constantly setting off recordings, so I am not constantly running recordings now.  A police officer saw my Arlo today, and asked if I had a recording of a guy trying to get in cars in the neighborhood this morning.  I had to tell him no, that it's a pain to use right now.  Kind of a waste when I spend about $800 for 2 Arlo Ultras!

ButchZ66
Tutor

It would be nice to have Multiple "EXCLUSION ZONES" that will NOT trigger an event in busy areas.

It seems, although I only have 2 Zones setup, it still records outside of those zones, thus many recordings/triggers

THANKS

Swimmingly
Onlooker

I have a similar issue with a bush that moves in the wind and a flag blowing in the wind.  Too many false recordings and notifications make me annoyingly accustomed to false triggers.  Can't reduce the sensitivity or will lose needed notifications.

Please modify the activity zone concept to allow for 'ignoring' certain areas.  A fine mesh grid pattern where individual grids are activated or deactivated might be the simplest approach.