Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.
0 Likes

Enhance Arlo Go to be used as WiFi Hotspot

Could Arlo Go be enhanced to act as a WiFi Hotspot for some simple applications, such as email, browser. This would benefit many uses out in field or homes without permanent Internet connections.

Comments
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

The Arlo development team routinely reviews posts in the Arlo Idea Exchange to assess which features the community would like to see implemented. We greatly appreciate the community’s contribution and will keep the status of this idea updated as we get new information on its potential implementation. Thank you for posting your idea!

HappySwede
Tutor

Hi Arlo,

I recently purchased an Arlo Go for my vacation home where I don't have a regular Internet connection, but I do have problems with vandalism. I think it would be great if there were a cheaper camera that could connect to and work through the Arlo Go, so it would be possible to have surveillance in more than one direction without requiring more than one cellular connection. (I'm currently in Sweden and I will have to sign up for a cell phone subscription for each camera. And, the Arlo Go is expensive, so cameras to "slave" to it would hopefully be cheaper to purchase.)

Thank you for your consideration.

StephenB
Guru

Not sure that it is practical to build what amounts to base station capability into the Go itself - but I do think it would be good to have a base station that connected to the Arlo cloud over cellular (which would have the same effect, though the base would of course need a cell phone plan).

HappySwede
Tutor

Though, it would really just have to be able to share the network, kind of like you do with a phone hot spot. Then other cameras could connect to the "hot spot" and connect to the cloud as if they had a network connection. (This might not work as well in real life as it does in my head, lol.) Either way, from my point of view any solution that doesn't require me to purchase four cell phone subscriptions to put up four cameras would be a wonderful thing. 🙂

StephenB
Guru

@HappySwede wrote:
. (This might not work as well in real life as it does in my head, lol.) 

At a minimum, it requires adding a wifi radio into the Go that is always able to accept a wifi connection from the slave.  That will definitely reduce battery life.

A separate base would be much easier for them to do (and you already can cobble this together by connecting the ethernet in an existing base to a hotspot/mobile router).  But I think it would need to be powered.

One way or another, it would be good if they had more mobile options for reaching the arlo cloud.