Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Dynamic Continuous Recording on Motion

There is already a request for continuous recording but this is a little different.

Have a Checkbox for Dynamic Continuous Recording

You set your Camera to record on motion for 10 seconds and If with only 4 seconds left on recording and motion is still active, add another 10 seconds, and keep adding 10 if the motion threshold of 4 seconds left has been met or what threshold you set it at.

If no motion, stop at 10.

Most hits usually is a person or an animal or something passing by and usually out of frame within 3 to 5 seconds.

So now I can set my cameras for 10 seconds and if it is something passing through, my camera only records for 10 seconds and my battery life now has been extended.  If there is movement, with my threshold setting set, recordings will keep going and I will capture everything without the need for the cameras to reset and miss something.

Comments

i like that...great idea

RobertRosal
Virtuoso

RobertRosal wrote:

There is already a request for continuous recording but this is a little different.

Have a Checkbox for Dynamic Continuous Recording

You set your Camera to record on motion for 10 seconds and If with only 4 seconds left on recording and motion is still active, add another 10 seconds, and keep adding 10 if the motion threshold of 4 seconds left has been met or what threshold you set it at.

If no motion, stop at 10.

Most hits usually is a person or an animal or something passing by and usually out of frame within 3 to 5 seconds.

So now I can set my cameras for 10 seconds and if it is something passing through, my camera only records for 10 seconds and my battery life now has been extended.  If there is movement, with my threshold setting set, recordings will keep going and I will capture everything without the need for the cameras to reset and miss something!

DaveInCA
Novice
Wonderful idea! 10-15 seconds is plenty for something passing by, such as the postal worker. But if someone is "casing" your house, you want to keep recording.
Abreja
Novice

Is there no response from Arlo technical team on this - I would love to have this feature- its vital for me.

thanks

AB

They won't respond. I feel like the worst thing I ever did was buy these cameras. They never acknowledge the requests and when they do have an update it has stuff nobody even asked for. And say by popular demand. But who cares if they can post the setup feedback to Facebook. And why would I need to directly upload to Facebook from the app. Hello it's an MP4 file that gets saved to your camera roll. And I can upload from there. We want this thread and we want IFTTT integration. And GPS awareness. To know when we leave the house. But IFTTT would suffice for that. There are great ideas that should be feasible for a $500 system. But the netgear team here with Arlo don't care what we want and don't bother to even keep us up to date as to what is being worked on. Hey how about motion blocking for specific areas of the capture. I mean there are a bunch of things.
MarkLThompson
Fledgling
I came here to request this very thing because it only makes sense. I don't want to record only for a specific duration most of time because a LOT of the recordings are empty simply because my kids walk by, etc. I don't want an xx- second clip showing my kids walking around the kitchen... I want to know when they're in there and see what they're doing without having the clip cut off. From start of motion to end of motion. Simple concept, so please add it.
JamesC
Community Manager

AlexisAndrews,

While I understand your perspective, I want to assure you the Arlo team does care about what you want. There are many great ideas, such as this one, that are proposed every day on the Idea Exchange Board and I want to encourage you to continue to post new and kudo existing ideas as that is the best way to facilitate new features being added to our system. I apologize that I do not have any specific updates on what new features and ideas are being considered but realize that we do greatly appreciate the feedback provided and every idea and feature suggested brings us closer to the product we all envision.  Thank you for your contributions!

JamesC

Thanks James. But pardon me if I call bullsh** I spent $500 on a system that does nothing unless you manage it all the time. We want automated systems that can fit into our lives. And grow with them. Like use the tools available thru other services. We do not believe you any more when you say you are taking our suggestions. I have not see any one post that they wanted to share directly from the app to Facebook. Who would want that. That is not a feature it's a cop out. It's laziness. That API is premade by FB. Not real work by you guys. We want more value to these cameras. Give us some value and we will be less angry for you robbing us with the purchase price.
-CB
Novice
Novice
Excuse me? The camera doesn't record motion? This is so basic that it is hard to believe that a reputable manufacturer would send a cheap gadget advertised as a surveillance system. There goes your reputation and the bad reviews on bulletin boards. I like the idea of a logical threshold to determine whether the recording should continue, something that does not require extensive computing power or hard coding in any reasonably designed architecture. Kudos for the idea promoted here, bad mark for Netgear. Sorry guys, if this is all you can do, you shouldn't be in this business, period.
BossGrady
Aspirant
Love the idea! +1